Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to the forum and SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

new to the forum and SLAM

first off, i am so glad i found this site! lots of good info and helpful people!
    i am going to slam my pool to get rid of the swamp but i ran into a bit of confusion regarding cya. my cya was below the measurement with taylor k2006. did it twice and could still see the dot. if i am going to shock my pool using slam method, do i need to raise cya first or just use less bleach(according to cya/chlorine chart? thanks in advance!

25000g
    fc - 10
    cc - 20
    ph - 7.5
    alk - 80
    cya - 0ish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new to the forum and SLAM

Welcome to TFP!!!

First we need to understand your results. Was the CC really that high? How much chlorine did you add and when did you take the above test results?

With a loss of CYA and the higher than normal CC this could be a case of ammonia.

I would hold off on adding CYA for now and wait until the FC holds for 30 minutes and the CC level falls.

Note, use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so each drop is 0.5ppm
    Also, order refills for the FAS-DPD and the CYA test ASAP as you are going to run out trying to clear out this CC issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

test was done 30 mins ago. fc was 0 last night and I added 3g of liquid pool shock from atwoods (10%)

4. Back To Top    #4

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Well, 3 gallons should have raised your FC by 12ppm ... so I do not think it is possible for the FC to be 10ppm and the CC to be 20ppm.

Can you describe how you did the chlorine test?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll do another to double check

- - - Updated - - -

when r0870 is mixed color is faint pink. should I add more for darker pink?

6. Back To Top    #6

How much powder did you add?
    If one heaping scoop, then that should be plenty. If in doubt, add a little extra, but if the color does not get deeper, then you must have low FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

ugh I suck. I had 10x on the brain when I was doing this earlier, sorry!!
    fc - 1ppm
    cc - 1.5 ppm

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is ok. The test can be confusing at first. 10x is for TA

You want .5x

- - - Updated - - -

Bring your FC back up
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

so don't worry about cya yet?

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, please add 10ppm of FC (3 gallons is close enough) with the pump running and then test the FC and CC again after 30 minutes. That will help determine a path forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

will do

12. Back To Top    #12

added 4 gallons 10% before I saw your post to add 3
    fc - 18
    cc - 1.5

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

That is ok.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

Well why 4 gallons? You should always be using PoolMath to calculate how much is required to reach your desired target.

4 gallons should have added 16ppm of FC which is pretty high for a CYA of < 20ppm ... see the FC/CYA Chart.

At this point it is clear that ammonia is NOT a problem here. So I would suggest you raise the CYA up toward around 30-40ppm and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

is there a particular brand/store for stabilizer that you recommend? also could I let fc drop to 10-12 then slam from there or will it not be as effective?

16. Back To Top    #16

You need to maintain the shock FC level that is appropriate for your CYA level. Right now you should be down around 10ppm. But when you raise the CYA up, you would need to also raise the FC target up.

Any stabilizer that is close to 100% cyanuric acid is fine. It can usually be found at hardware stores in the pool section or the Walmart HTH stuff seems to dissolve well. Just use PoolMath and put the amount you need into a sock and put it in your skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Be sure to update your signature so it's easier for everyone to help you out.
    To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Use Pool Math to calculate your pool volume and your chemical additions. When in doubt, estimate you pool volume lower at first, especially when adding CYA. It's easy to add CYA, not so easy to get it out.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

18. Back To Top    #18

gotcha, thanks for all of the help!