New guy with a new pool and a test kit.

May 24, 2015
Yuma AZ
Hello. I am new here. I had a pool years ago and trusted the pool store with it. So so results. Just got my new pool built and going. I have had water in it for 2 and a half weeks. Just got my Taylor 2006 test kit and took readings.
FC 2.4
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 160
CH 300
CYA 20 or less

Up till now I have been just going with the simple test kit and trusting pool store. Wish i would of found this forum before spending several hundred dollars on pucs, granular and phos-free. Oh well. How do my numbers look for a new pebble pool in the hot desert? I know the cya needs to come up. Figure the pucs and granular can do that. Pool gets Arizona sun all day by the way.

Congrats on taking charge of your pool! Look towards getting your FC between 3-7, and your CYA slightly higher to the 30-50 range. TA could come-down a bit as well. Take a peek at the Recommended Levels link in my signature for your pool. That should help you.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Start to used 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD so each drop is 0.5ppm ... saves your reagent and is plenty precise.

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun until you get a decent CYA level. I would suggest getting the CYA up to around 30ppm and then using the pucks to maintain adequate FC and raise the CYA up closer to 50ppm (at which point you have to switch to liquid chlorine / bleach).

Make sure you keep an eye on the FC/CYA Chart.

Thank you for the welcomes and great advice. I am bringing my PH down and using areation for the TA and added chlorine using granular in hopes of also raising cya ( I have 40 pounds):mad:. Should I use a condioner to speed up the cya raise or just use the pucs and granular I have? Thanks again for the help.

You can use what you have (assuming it is Dichlor and not cal-hypo), although you may lose more FC to the sun at the start than you would if you got the CYA up some at the start.

Thanks for the quick response. It is dichlor. I feel like such a dope. I bought 40 lbs of granular and 40 lbs of pucs. Also bought a 40 dollar jug of phos-free. Wanted to start off right with new pool and this is what was recommended by pool guy with installer and pool store. Oh well. Live and learn. Anyone want some phos-free?

Welcome to TFP! Cheap lesson learned before your CYA was sky high and your pool turned green. Give the phosfree to someone you don't like at work. :-D

Why? While the Phosfree may not help much, it does not hurt anything either. Go ahead and use it if you can not return it. Think of it as a bit of insurance if you let the FC drop too low.

Welcome to TFP! Cheap lesson learned before your CYA was sky high and your pool turned green. Give the phosfree to someone you don't like at work. :-D
Thank you.
Why? While the Phosfree may not help much, it does not hurt anything either. Go ahead and use it if you can not return it. Think of it as a bit of insurance if you let the FC drop too low.

Was going to ask if there was any harm in still using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Start to used 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD so each drop is 0.5ppm ... saves your reagent and is plenty precise.

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun until you get a decent CYA level. I would suggest getting the CYA up to around 30ppm and then using the pucks to maintain adequate FC and raise the CYA up closer to 50ppm (at which point you have to switch to liquid chlorine / bleach).

Make sure you keep an eye on the FC/CYA Chart.
jblizzle: Can you give more info on how this is done? Do I still use the same amount of powder? Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.