Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy with a new pool and a test kit.

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy with a new pool and a test kit.

Hello. I am new here. I had a pool years ago and trusted the pool store with it. So so results. Just got my new pool built and going. I have had water in it for 2 and a half weeks. Just got my Taylor 2006 test kit and took readings.
    FC 2.4
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 160
    CH 300
    CYA 20 or less

Up till now I have been just going with the simple test kit and trusting pool store. Wish i would of found this forum before spending several hundred dollars on pucs, granular and phos-free. Oh well. How do my numbers look for a new pebble pool in the hot desert? I know the cya needs to come up. Figure the pucs and granular can do that. Pool gets Arizona sun all day by the way.
    New (05-18-2015) 22,000 gallon pebble (Wet Edge) Pentair Triton 2 sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed pump, Paramount valet cleaning system, well water, Taylor k-2006 testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy with a new pool and a test kit.

Congrats on taking charge of your pool! Look towards getting your FC between 3-7, and your CYA slightly higher to the 30-50 range. TA could come-down a bit as well. Take a peek at the Recommended Levels link in my signature for your pool. That should help you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your kit! Texas Splash has given you some great advice to work on. Post back with questions or concerns. Pool Math will help you determine amounts to add.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Start to used 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD so each drop is 0.5ppm ... saves your reagent and is plenty precise.

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun until you get a decent CYA level. I would suggest getting the CYA up to around 30ppm and then using the pucks to maintain adequate FC and raise the CYA up closer to 50ppm (at which point you have to switch to liquid chlorine / bleach).

Make sure you keep an eye on the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the welcomes and great advice. I am bringing my PH down and using areation for the TA and added chlorine using granular in hopes of also raising cya ( I have 40 pounds). Should I use a condioner to speed up the cya raise or just use the pucs and granular I have? Thanks again for the help.
    New (05-18-2015) 22,000 gallon pebble (Wet Edge) Pentair Triton 2 sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed pump, Paramount valet cleaning system, well water, Taylor k-2006 testing.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use what you have (assuming it is Dichlor and not cal-hypo), although you may lose more FC to the sun at the start than you would if you got the CYA up some at the start.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the quick response. It is dichlor. I feel like such a dope. I bought 40 lbs of granular and 40 lbs of pucs. Also bought a 40 dollar jug of phos-free. Wanted to start off right with new pool and this is what was recommended by pool guy with installer and pool store. Oh well. Live and learn. Anyone want some phos-free?

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP! Cheap lesson learned before your CYA was sky high and your pool turned green. Give the phosfree to someone you don't like at work.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Why? While the Phosfree may not help much, it does not hurt anything either. Go ahead and use it if you can not return it. Think of it as a bit of insurance if you let the FC drop too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP! Cheap lesson learned before your CYA was sky high and your pool turned green. Give the phosfree to someone you don't like at work.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why? While the Phosfree may not help much, it does not hurt anything either. Go ahead and use it if you can not return it. Think of it as a bit of insurance if you let the FC drop too low.
    Was going to ask if there was any harm in still using it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like the electrician in your avatar is doing a great job!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Looks like the electrician in your avatar is doing a great job!
    That would be me as a kid

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Start to used 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD so each drop is 0.5ppm ... saves your reagent and is plenty precise.

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun until you get a decent CYA level. I would suggest getting the CYA up to around 30ppm and then using the pucks to maintain adequate FC and raise the CYA up closer to 50ppm (at which point you have to switch to liquid chlorine / bleach).

Make sure you keep an eye on the FC/CYA Chart.
    jblizzle: Can you give more info on how this is done? Do I still use the same amount of powder? Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

You should just need one scoop at normal levels. You can not use too much powder, but too little can result in odd results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Use a 10 ml sample and then multiply the drops by .5 instead of .2.

All else remains the same. More info in extended directions in Pool School if you need it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Great, thanks for the clarification!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit