Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help on Coping decision - Travertine or Leuder's Limestone (North Texas)

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help on Coping decision - Travertine or Leuder's Limestone (North Texas)

We have to make a decision on Coping and we cannot decide. I would love Travertine but I'm hesitant because i read that because it is porous if you live in a climate where you have freezing weather that it will crack during the freeze/thaw. Anyone have any input for me to consider? Our pool will be chlorine.
    In Ground Pool, 119' , Plaster, Length 32; Width 28; Gunit Hawyard DE60, 1HP Hayward Tristar Pump, 2HP Challenger Pump Booster (2QTY), Heather-Rheem 400,000 BTU; Hayward Navigator Suction Cleaner, Rainbow320INline, Nature2Express, Single Timer w/ Freeze, Fountain / Bubbler, 7 Scuppers, 820Concrete Deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help on Coping decision - Travertine or Leuder's Limestone (North Texas)

I think you need to go with a Premium grade which will resist the freeze thaw cycle. We have had some very cold winters and are going with Travertine. Our PB did not user the word Premium, but it was graded for effects of cold weather.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help on Coping decision - Travertine or Leuder's Limestone (North Texas)

We have travertine and after a very cold winter don't see any signs of cracking. Do make sure to seal early and often if you are going with salt.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!
    In Ground Pool, 119' , Plaster, Length 32; Width 28; Gunit Hawyard DE60, 1HP Hayward Tristar Pump, 2HP Challenger Pump Booster (2QTY), Heather-Rheem 400,000 BTU; Hayward Navigator Suction Cleaner, Rainbow320INline, Nature2Express, Single Timer w/ Freeze, Fountain / Bubbler, 7 Scuppers, 820Concrete Deck

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm considering travertine and got over 100" of snow this past winter. We have freezing temperatures half of the year. My wife has her heart set on travertine so I've been doing a ton of research on both salt and freezing.

Use only the PREMIUM SELECT!!! Every installer and travertine vendor said it must be premium select. My PB also said travertine should be from Turkey (not Mexico).

Salt water - I will only do a salt water pool. Sealing it should do the trick. You'll find a large number of members on this forum with travertine and saltwater pools.

I will dry set the 1.25" thick pavers. It is the recommended method for freeze/thaw climates and also allows me to replace individual pieces without too much effort.

Travertine going here under the snow...

2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir