Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA/Sun

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA/Sun

Would one normally want a higher CYA reading with more sun light on the pool?

I'm at about 40 now. I get sun on my pool from sun up to sun down. if I went up to say 50 or 60 - would my daily chlorine loss generally be a little less?

I've read so many horror stories about CYA on here I'm paranoid to add even a little more!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA/Sun

I would only go as high as 50 for now. Yes, you will lose less FC to the sun with a higher CYA.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

The higher the CYA, the more protection from the sun. Although the sun in CT is not as intense as what AZ and TX see

How many ppm of FC are you currently having to add?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The higher the CYA, the more protection from the sun. Although the sun in CT is not as intense as what AZ and TX see

How many ppm of FC are you currently having to add?
    I check every evening. I target 7 ppm and I'm down to about 5 ppm every night. Sometimes a bit less.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That is a normal loss. I would leave your CYA where is is.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

A 2ppm loss each day is on the lower end of normal ... not sure that raising the CYA will result in having to add too much less. But raising it would not hurt anything.

With your current CYA, you might try targeting 6ppm and you may not have to add quite as much bleach each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you're good were you're at.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004