Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To buy a mini fridge with OR without a freezer?! (Help!)

1. Back To Top    #1

Question To buy a mini fridge with OR without a freezer?! (Help!)

I'm finishing up my bar and am hoping to pick up my new min-fridge this weekend. The question becomes, do I get one with a freezer or do I not? Me and the "bros" tend to drink a lot of beer, and the boss likes to make her fruity drinks that require ice. Does anyone have opinions as to whether or not it's worth the freezer to keep ice in over the course of the week for weekend usage? We really don't like going into the house to get ice, beer, anything because we're soaked. Any and all opinions welcome.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: To buy a mini fridge with OR without a freezer?! (Help!)

We did not use the freezer in ours at all. We just use the auto ice dispenser on the fridge inside for ice. If a lot of people are coming over we bought bagged ice for drinks and sat it in a cooler.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Perfect! That's what I was looking for... I did have some additional questions if someone else or you have feedback: Some additional questions:
    - Do you think it would actually keep ice?
    - Is the limited storage size worth it?
    - Would a cooler be easier more cost effective?
    - What else would I use the ice for?

I guess in the end I could make them pick up the ice every weekend they come over, if they want to use my pool and electricity. lol

4. Back To Top    #4

there isnt much space in a mini fridge to begin with...
    I personally just provide ice in a clean cooler for the frozen concoctions. Or maybe you could install a portable ice maker out there?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Consider a countertop icemaker, I have one like this one Best Countertop Ice Maker – Countering Ice Shortage | GadgetHer bought it about 5 years ago at a local hardware strore for $100 It is handy when guests are over, etc. of course you have to fill the water by hand, but that is no big deal, the ice continuously melts drains and gets pumped back to refreeze, so you don't get dried out stuck together ice.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

not being in AZ it should work, but i can't imagine how much that thing would run to keep not only cool enough as a fridge but making/keeping ice.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

7. Back To Top    #7

Very true. I'm going without a freezer and making the guests bring the ice or bag my own. From the inside fridge

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Frigidaire mini that has a real freezer section with a separate door. It will easily fit 10 ice trays. I keep it set on the coldest setting and liquid freezes in the fridge part at the back of the shelf. The freezer section works great.

9. Back To Top    #9

On a mini fridge, I would forego the freezer. We have found that you will want as much room as you can get for refrigerated items. For entertaining, a cooler should work well for keeping ice frozen for days. If you have the room, you can consider a small chest freezer. They are fairly inexpensive and cheap to run. This is the route we went.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.