Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: few questions

1. Back To Top    #1

few questions

I have been in pool school for a few weeks now and have a few questions.

I have a chlorinated hard piped into my de filter and pump. I currently use 3" tablets in it, I know they suck, but in the future when I swap to the holy grail of bleach and a tf100 what do I do with my chlorinator ? Just put it on 100% flow and leave it empty?

Pour bleach in over return jet?

Dilute bleach?

Is it normal in the first few days of running filter to backwash and recharge once or more a day?

How often should I breakdown filter and do a thorough cleaning ?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: few questions

Yes pour bleach in front of return jet with pump on.

No need to dilute just pour slowly

Sound like you have a DE filter. I don't know much about them. Please update your signature in settings with your pool and equipment info.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Will update tonight with model #s.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, leave the chlorinator empty and full flow. You could use it in the future when you leave for multiple days.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, thanks you two.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is your filter sand, DE or cartridge?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

de - updated sig
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha, the one filter that I know nothing about! But, I do have a link to a handy pool school article on cleaning it.
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

As to you filter clogging frequently, that is often an early sign of an algae bloom in the pool and the filter is clogging with dead algae. Then the pool gets cloudy, then green, then swamp. Have you noticed higher than normal chlorine consumption?

Performing an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) can help to determine if you have organic material using up chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the info pooldv. I did read that already. There looks like there is a broken link on the de section of the post for more info on de filter cleaning unfortunately.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Here you go, I found it
    Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Here you go, I found it
    Use and care for DE filters
    Thank you thank you!!!