Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started 1st Slam to combat green pool but have a few questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Started 1st Slam to combat green pool but have a few questions

Hello,
    So opened a green pool for my second year as owner of one.

1st test of the season

Ph 8.2
    FC .5
    Cc 2.5
    Calcium Hardness test
    Color is more pink then red
    TA 50
    CYA 0

I started to address TA and Ph and CYA as I learned before starting SLAM. Below is the results between yesterday and this morning. Unfortanuly my levels of TA and CYA have gone up and my CH has gone done?
    I have been running filter while around a recycle at night only because it needs to by back washed so far once a day.

After 1 hour 3:38 pm
    FC 7.5
    Cc 1.5
    Cya 30
    TA 60

4:36pm sun off pool for most part
    Back washed filter and set to recirculate.
    FC 13

6:20m
    FC 10

8:30 pm
    FC 10.5
    Cc 1

Next morning 2nd day
    Ph 7.2
    FC 9.5
    CC 1.5
    CH 150. (Went Down)
    TA 100. (Went up)
    CYA 40.

10:30 am
    FC 14.5
    Cc .5

I guess some more CYa had dissolved and raised up but with all the backwashing and adding water that will go back down. Should I address the CH now or wait till Slam done? Als as I check chlorine should I let sample sit a little while? Sometimes it started to turn back color after 30 sec or so? Thanks
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Started 1st Slam to combat green pool but have a few questions

Don't address levels of anything else until SLAM is done. Just test FC and CC during the SLAM. Test CYA a week after adding to see if you need to raise your SLAM level. Lots of brushing and filter on 24/7.

It is common for test to go back to pink. Don't worry about it. Your last drop of 0871 to clear water is the number you use.

- - - Updated - - -

Also only backwash when psi raises 20-25% above clean
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed. pH to 7.2 and SLAM away. The other levels are something to deal with after the SLAM is over.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all for the quick response. Sounds good.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No problem. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Success!!! My pool is crystal clear and levels are holding. Now I just have to clean my pool bottom. And we had so much rain I was able to give Sand filter a full 8 minute backwash. Ironically the weather has turn cold so now have to await some heat. Thanks for all the advice and help.
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.