Need a little help getting started.

May 25, 2015
Zeeland
pool is cloudy and all efforts using pool store recommendations not working.

the following data is from the pool store. I am waiting for my taylor kit to be delivered.

TC 2.2
FC 0.6
CYA 26
PH 7.7
TA 153

Using the calcualtor and the chlorine/cya chart
my target shock fc should be 12
using 8.25% bleach in 121 oz jugs I should add 675 oz of bleach.

Does this sound about right?

I know that I should be using a fc kit, but want to get a jump start while I wait for it to arrive. I have been struggling with this since I opened it on May 8. I have spent about $500 on chemicals from the pool store. Any suggestions would be appreciated

First, welcome to TFP!

Second, good job getting some of the base knowledge in and recognizing that you shouldn't trust the pool store results.

I wouldn't try to start the shock/SLAM until you have a reliable kit, because you could easily overshoot and hurt your vinyl liner.
I would try to keep to the recommended FC level for your CYA until your test kit arrives. If you keep it as low as the pool store says it is, stuff will be growing and make the SLAM process more difficult in the end.

You will want to lower your pH before starting the SLAM, I'll let smarter board members chime in on if you should attempt that before your test kit arrives or not.

If you haven't read pool school, I highly recommend it. Lots of very good information in there. (Link in my signature)

Welcome! :wave:

40.000 gallons is a huge pool. Are you sure about the volume? Because if it's not that big and you start pouring bleach in targeting 12, you might find yourself at 20. And since pool store test results are at best iffy, if your CYA is lower than 26, you could bleach the liner. And if your CYA is higher, you might not get FC high enough to do much but annoy the algae.

How long do you anticipate waiting for the test kit? I would hesitate to add much of anything without knowing ALL the results. After $500 worth of pool chemicals, I'd expect CYA or CH to be way high. And conveniently, they didn't test CH. What if one or both of those numbers turns out to be dangerously high? You'll be draining some water. So why add thirty bucks' worth of chemicals you're only going to be pumping out? What if the pool store sold you copper-based algaecide? You'll want to dump a bunch of water in that case, too.

Adding chemicals without reliable test results is like painting a picture in a pitch-black room. Yeah, you'll get some paint on the canvas, but the results probably won't be what you wanted. All you'll have done is waste paint and ruin a canvas.

Richard320\
I ordered the kit two days ago, it shipped today. Hope to have it in a couple of days.
The pools does not calculate to be 40k more like 36-37k (22x40, 3' to 8' deep) Wondering if I should just go with 38.

So I am going to wait for the kit and test before slamming.

thanks

Welcome! :wave:

40.000 gallons is a huge pool. Are you sure about the volume? Because if it's not that big and you start pouring bleach in targeting 12, you might find yourself at 20. And since pool store test results are at best iffy, if your CYA is lower than 26, you could bleach the liner. And if your CYA is higher, you might not get FC high enough to do much but annoy the algae.

How long do you anticipate waiting for the test kit? I would hesitate to add much of anything without knowing ALL the results. After $500 worth of pool chemicals, I'd expect CYA or CH to be way high. And conveniently, they didn't test CH. What if one or both of those numbers turns out to be dangerously high? You'll be draining some water. So why add thirty bucks' worth of chemicals you're only going to be pumping out? What if the pool store sold you copper-based algaecide? You'll want to dump a bunch of water in that case, too.

Adding chemicals without reliable test results is like painting a picture in a pitch-black room. Yeah, you'll get some paint on the canvas, but the results probably won't be what you wanted. All you'll have done is waste paint and ruin a canvas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.