Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plywood under backerboard

1. Back To Top    #1

Plywood under backerboard

Must I have a plywood base under half inch hardibacker for the countertop? Used 2x4s laid flat to create the countertop support and overhang, max space between them is 20 inches. Most are 16 inches or less. Can I just lay the hardibacker over the supports or am I looking for trouble with flexing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Carlsbad, NM

Re: Plywood under backerboard

What do you have planned for the countertop material? I used 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood covered by 1/2 hardi for my marble tile countertop.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just porcelain tile

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

I built a grill island that looks built-in, but it is portable with large hidden casters underneath. I installed plywood and then 3/8" backerboard on top of that. I then installed outdoor-rated ceramic tile over that. Grill island is 10 years old and moved with us to our new house. No cracks in the tile.

Now if yours is stationary, you probably can get away with just the backerboard, but I would definitely go with the thicker backerboard.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Litchfield Park, AZ (PHX metro area)

i have several steel studs running across the top, then 1/2" backer board and 12" sq granite tiles - no issues so far.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 14K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.