Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vermaculite install with rain in the forecast....Need opinions ASAP

1. Back To Top    #1

Vermaculite install with rain in the forecast....Need opinions ASAP

Good morning everyone.

My PB called this morning and informed me that today they plan to lay the vermiculite down for the pool. I asked why they are doing it now, since the liner has not come in yet, and they do not expect it to come in for at least a week. I've read that it is risky to lay the vermiculite before rain, and that it can get ruined in the rain. Our forecast today as of 2pm is 30% and increased to 50% at various times of the day. Also there is rain in the forecast 3 out of the next 7 days which is the estimated time it will be exposed before the vinyl is laid. They aren't even at the house yet to begin the job, so the likelihood that they are done and it dries in time if it rains, is very low.

Can anyone weigh in on their thoughts of having this done today?
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vermaculite install with rain in the forecast....Need opinions ASAP

You don't want any rain while pouring concrete/vermiculite or for roughly two hours afterwards. After that rain is fine. So if the can get it done in the morning, and it doesn't rain until afternoon they might be alright.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vermaculite install with rain in the forecast....Need opinions ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    You don't want any rain while pouring concrete/vermiculite or for roughly two hours afterwards. After that rain is fine. So if the can get it done in the morning, and it doesn't rain until afternoon they might be alright.
    Thank you Jason, sun is out now, hoping it holds for the majority of the day. Thank you for setting my mind at ease.
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.