New from MN!

Is the water clear and green or cloudy and green at this point? Have you attempted an OCLT yet?

If it is just cloudy, you could try to add some DE to the filter to increase clarity improvement rate. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If it's clear and green and you've passed the OCLT you may have a residual metals problem. See here: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Also, as was said, any time you use a solid form of chlorine, you're adding something you don't need to your pool. If it is a trichlor chlorine puck you're adding CYA to the pool and yours is already high.

It's a cloudy blue green... Do you need a pressure gauge for the de? Ours was removed and hole plugged... So we would have to drill another...

You need to have a pressure gauge whether you're using DE or not. How do you know when to backwash your filter without a pressure gauge?

Can the plug be removed? I'd do whatever you can to get a working pressure gauge. Many times the plug can be removed unless it was glued in permanently. I'd even go so far as to drill out the plug and tap a new hole for the gauge.

Pool is looking blue! But we are still not passing our overnight test... I tested the cya it's slightly less than 30... The pool is blue and I can clearly see the bottom of the shallow end...
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 185

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok.... Is it normal for it to take a month?

You're not done, because the last picture is cloudy. You can add DE to your sand filter to help things along, but you will need that pressure gauge installed in order to judge the correct amount of DE to add. Patience is a big part of this process! Keep up the good work! It is rather impossible to define a normal range for this process, so just keep that FC at the proper range for your CYA during the SLAM.

Ok! So we think we are clear, our cya is down to 30, but we did not pass our oclt... We tested around 8pm and again at 8am.... I think I waited too long. Last night thr FC was 18, this morning it was 15. So it's still slam level for this cya, should I leave it here or go up to the original slam level?

Happy to announce that last Friday my pool passed the over night test and we were ready for swimming conditions by Monday, with just a slightly elevated chlorine. Now it's almost perfect! However, I seem to have sand at the bottom that my filter just keeps passing thru, it's the same amount that just keeps appearing. When I add the de will that sole the problem?

You can verify that it's passing through the filter by tying a sock around the return jet and checking the inside of the sock after running for a day. DE may trap some of it, until you backwash again. You could set up a hose siphon and manually "vacuum" the offending sand, or if you pool vacuum it with the sock on the return, that might remove most of it.

If it persists after that, you may have a broken lateral fin.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.