Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: eaamon recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

eaamon recommendations

Posts below were split off from HERE as there is just too much information that does not jive with TFP teachings and was likely to result in confusion. jblizzle

second fix. if you do have good circulation. where is your chlorine level? if at 1 or less,
    then add 3 jugs of clorox. do not spill a drop on you, it eats clothes.
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to fix first?

third fix. after adding the three jugs bleach....go to store and buy at least 6 more. also pick up
    the test strips I recommended, along with a box of borax and more baking soda.....you will need
    almost all of it.....and then some. it is my guess your three jugs of chlorine will be gone by
    the next morning and your Free Chlorine near zero. it would be almost all absorbed by the
    CYA you put in. a zero CYA would have let the FC eat up the algae with the three jugs and
    given you almost 10 on the free chlorine.
    with the good circulation from the outlet, shut the pump down and reset your valve back to
    the filter mode. hope you get the 9 to 10 lbs you had before. it may take a bit for all the air
    to bleed out of the filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I know you are on your phone. I might say to write each step down as a guide.
    fourth possible fix, you may have vapor lock on your skimmer line. that would be a bubble
    mid way to the pump. remove your skimmer basket. put your vacuum hose into the skimmer
    and hand hold the other end of the hose on the outlet jet return line. my guess it
    has some pressure, blow the air out of your vacuum line and connect it into the skimmer
    inlet. hold the other end back over the return line to the pool. the forward pressure and
    the suction by the pump, hopefully will clear out any air in that line. this might give you
    the suction now, you were looking for to vacuum.
    then test strip for free chlorine you may need to add another 3 jugs...to get it off zero.
    also log the PH and TA and CYA as well as the FC levels. test strips several times a day
    as things could change fast now.
    only put in a little at a time of the borax to adjust the PH and baking soda for the TA.

4. Back To Top    #4

fifth fix, for the next 5 to 7 days. using the test strips, keep your PH at 7.0 and above.
    TA between 40 and 80. you may need to add about three jugs a day of bleach just
    to keep chlorine above 1. so you may need a lot more bleach, costco sells boxes of three
    for less than $10.
    mean while when you add the three jugs bleach. brush the sides and bottom of your
    pool and hope you will be able to see the bottom with out a vacuum. the goal is to
    get your free chlorine level to 10. too much CYA makes that hard to do. today you
    got the rain I had yesterday. if you get over 3 inches run some water off to waste
    as it will help you get your CYA lower. you really want is between 20 to 30 for CYA
    or less until the green is gone and the water is clear. do not back flush again until
    your pressure is above 21 PSI.

I'll be on the road for a few days. but this should get you started and on you way to
    a clear pool. yours is similar to mine in size and gallons. both of us have a 300 lbs
    sand filter. mine is mid 1990s pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP does not recommend use of test strips. This is how we maintain pools.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv
    TFP does not recommend use of test strips.
    +1 to that. Multi-test strips do not have the precision needed to properly manage a pool due to results they give in a range as opposed to an actual precise number. The cornerstone of the TFP method is managing pool water chemistry according to accurate and precise test results. We recommend using one of These Test Kits
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: eaamon recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
    also pick up
    the test strips I recommended
    See this post for a comparison of test strips vs. the TFTestKits TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 drop-based test kits.

It's not that there are no test strips that are any good, but rather that their accuracy varies a lot for the different tests and by manufacturer and that even for the more reliable pH and FC tests their results can vary a lot due to the way users use them and they are also much harder to read than counting drops in the FAS-DPD chlorine test, TA test, and CH test.

Quote Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
    along with a box of borax and more baking soda.....you will need
    almost all of it.....and then some.
    You should only buy and use the chemicals you actually need. You don't need Borax unless your pH is low but your TA is normal and you don't need baking soda unless your TA is low. If both are low, then one can use Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (same sodium carbonate as in pH Up products). In this posters case, the pH may only have been somewhat low, not very low, while the TA was low. If the pH were 6.8 and TA 40 ppm, then adding 1.5 pounds of sodium carbonate and 3 pounds of sodium bicarbonate per 10,000 gallons would raise the pH to 7.4 and TA to 78 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"