Replacing Hayward SP-1023 Return Fitting Possible with water at full level?

May 26, 2015
Rochester
Hello , I have a 24' agp and have a leaking or slightly streaming return fitting. The pool is full and I was hoping to replace it quick with the water still at its filled level. I have been told it is possible and they have done it , and others that say it needs to be drained down 2" below the return fitting (bulkhead). I am receiving the new sp-1023 tomorrow and it comes complete with the 2 rubber gaskets and fiber gasket. I was hoping to loosen the original and quickly make the transfer with the new piece. Has and can this be done or am I looking for problems doing this. Just opened the pool and brought the water level up to find the leak. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that is possible, but I don't recommend it. The moment you loosen the old fitting water starts streaming out through the hole, getting fairly intense as you are trying to get the new fitting into place. Yes, it can be done, but at best you lose a fair bit of water and have a much more difficult job of mounting the new fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.