Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: raising alkalinity in a salt pool

1. Back To Top    #1

raising alkalinity in a salt pool

I have a SWG pool where I typically keep the salt around 3000ppm. My numbers are fairly typical but sometimes my alkalinity drops to around 60. I noticed the recommended level of 80 to 120 so I decided to treat with baking soda, which is something i've only done once before. I added the required 4 pounds according to the calculator and my family complained of the salt taste.. I tested the salt and it's now at 3400ppm, though I backwashed the filter today so now it's lower. My pool salt level rarely changes unless I do water changes (obviously).. my question is how do I raise alkalinity without affecting my salt levels, or can't that be done? or is it ok to leave it alone at 60?
    Intex 18' x 48" above ground
    Intex 2650gph sand filter
    Intex SWG/ Ozone generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: raising alkalinity in a salt pool

The alkalinity does not affect the salt level to any significant degree. 60 is good for a salt pool.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: raising alkalinity in a salt pool

If your PH is pretty stable then leave your TA where it is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach