Another Spa Plumbing Post...Hartford loop/Check valve

dfons

Feb 21, 2015
miami, fl
I've read most of the posts regarding the loop and check valve, and if designed correctly it wouldn't need a blower. Well, mine may not have been designed correctly. I wish I knew of this website before starting my own pool. Would have done a few things differently. I am convinced I know more than some of the local pool builders and designers now....hehehe. However, I gotta make do w/ what I have in progress.

Background: underwater spa in pool (not sure of true name, not infinity as under waterline by 1") with 8 back jets. It's going to be run w/ the same pentair VS pool pump. The same jets will be used as return and therapy. The plans call for 1.5 hp air blower and 2" pvc. There is no hartford loop or check valve on the plans. Will have an upsized cartridge filter 425 sq ft and will run through heater as well to provide hot water to spa. The plumber just installed the lines from pool to pad and there is no loop or valve installed either, but my blower will be installed well above the water line, so should not get wet. Equipment pad is about 130-150 ft away from spa. Blower mfr recommends upsizing to 2 hp based on distance to equip and lack of loop.

Questions:

Since my spa is under the water line, where would the loop have been installed in this case? Guessing over ground somewhere, which does not fit into the look we want.

Will I have huge issues by not having a loop near spa?

Should I install check valve even if not using a loop by the spa? If so, where? Under the deck (pavers or tile on concrete decision still pending)? Would hate to install valve where I won't have access.

I read about the different nozzle GPM, where do I find what I should be using for this application? Don't necessarily need full therapy if can't get it (never had a spa or pool, so probably won't know the difference), but don't want an improper design based on pump size, distance, etc.

Anything else I should be aware of? Again, if I had to do it over again, I would have done an infinity spa and used a loop in spa walls, but that ship sailed...

Thanks in advance for any input.

20150508_072729.jpg

If you had a loop, it would be inside the wall of the spa.

It is likely there will be some obvious variation in strength between the various jets.

That is a very long run back to the pad, so a check valve on the air line somewhere in the area of the pool would certainly be nice. I would put it somewhere unobtrusive outside the deck so it could be serviced if required.

There is no "should" in terms of jet choices, it is all personal preference, which varies all over the place.

Jason, thanks for feedback. Guess putting a checkvalve somewhere in line where I can access it is better than not having it at all. Will likely be somewhere around halfway, since the piping will be under the deck for a good ways.

Anyone have input on a spa without a Hartford Loop as described in original post?

Is there a good place to find information as to the different jet choices for the spa? Is there one brand that stands out as better than others, or ones I should stay away from?

Jason, thanks for feedback. Guess putting a checkvalve somewhere in line where I can access it is better than not having it at all. Will likely be somewhere around halfway, since the piping will be under the deck for a good ways.

Anyone have input on a spa without a Hartford Loop as described in original post?

Is there a good place to find information as to the different jet choices for the spa? Is there one brand that stands out as better than others, or ones I should stay away from?

I think the reason why you have no Hartford Loop in the piping design is because the loop needs to rise above the water line of the spa. Your spa, as you mention, is fully submerged. I guess a loop could have been installed somewhere in a wall that rises over the water line but it may not have been possible to do that. I'm by no means a steam boiler designer (Hartford Loops came into existence in the late 1800's to deal with a the rash of pressurized steam boiler explosions) but I think you need several inches over the water line in order for a Hartford Loop to function as intended.

Then again, I could be totally wrong....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.