Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Arkansas

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Arkansas

Hello everyone. I've been lurking since mid last summer and have learned SO MUCH. No more pool store for me. We've had some sort of above ground pool for many years, and while fun, it has always been a PAIN to manage. After reading through pool school and understanding some of the underlying chemistry things got much better. The wife said the pool has never looked better. Last year was the final season for our 16x16 AG Intex and while I still have pool pains, we got another that went up this past weekend. It's 18x9x52 Intex Ultra Frame that is almost finished filling up. A SWG should be here tomorrow, but I'd like to get the chemistry started tonight. Any recommendations on what chems to start with? I have lots of left overs from the pool store folks, but don't know which to start with to open a new pool. In the past I just followed their guides.

If I recall it's balance the TA, PH and CH before Chlorine??

If this should be in another category let me know and I'll move it.

Current
    Temp = 73
    FC=0
    CC=0
    PH=7.2
    TA=20
    CH=50
    CYA=0

Old Chem on hand
    20+ pounds Dichloro granular
    30+ lbs 3" TirChloro tabs
    @5lbs Soda Ash
    1 lbs Hardness Plus
    1 gal 10% Liquid Bleach
    2.5 gal Muriatic Acid
    1 lb PH minus - Sodium Bisulfate
    2 lbs Baking Soda
    2 lbs 20 Mule Borax
    4600+ Gal AG Vinyl, Intex Ultra Frame 18x9x52 (05-25-2015), Sand Pro 50 Filter (Couple Years Old), TF100, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, City Water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Arkansas

Hi jkm!
    Welcome to TFP and man..Kudos to you on reading pool school, having a good test kit and posting up some good numbers !! excellent!

1st question.
    Do you know how to use pool math? Its pretty easy.
    Enter Gallons in teh VOlume Box at top
    In the boxes on the left side, enter your test result
    In the box to the right of that, enter your recommended level and then click calculate. Pool Math will tell you how much of something to add.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Pool School - Recommended Levels

1st, get some Chlorine in the Pool, your target right now needs to be 2ppm . FOr now, you can use Dichlor for that if you just have to, but I would prefer you use bleach!
    Use pool math to tell you how much.

Next you need to get some Stabilizer and Conditioner (a.k.a. CYA) into the pool pretty quick This is prevent your chlorine from being burned off by the sun so fast.
    Add it in steps. Step 1 to get you to about 50ppm, then wait a few days and test. Then add a bit more to get you to about 70 which is right for a SWG pool.

Next, you need to raise your TA to about 60 using Baking Soda (2 lbs isnt going to be enough). Use Pool Math to tell you how much

Your pH is good
    Your CH is good (no need for CH in a vinyl pool, just dont let it get ridiculously high, like +500.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Divin Dave! I used the pool calc all last year. I just didn't know which level to raise first with a fresh start. I had thought to start with the TA, but I'll start with the dichlor for the chlorine and it will start to add CYA too.
    4600+ Gal AG Vinyl, Intex Ultra Frame 18x9x52 (05-25-2015), Sand Pro 50 Filter (Couple Years Old), TF100, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, City Water

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. jkm1890. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

If I recall it's balance the TA, PH and CH before Chlorine??
    Actually, you would normally begin by adjusting the pH, but yours is good for now.

Next is to add chlorine and CYA. Target an initial CYA level of 30-50 ppm which we recommend adding using the granular CYA-in-a-sock method. Fill the sock with the required amount of CYA to get you to into the 30-50 ppm range (see Pool Math for dosing amounts) and place the sock in the skimmer. For the first day, add 2 ppm FC. Beginning the following day, dose according to the amount of CYA you added (see Chlorine CYA Chart). Note that once you get your SWG, you will need to increase the CYA to 70-80 ppm. Be aware that it may take up to a week for CYA to appear in test results, so don't be tempted to overdose.

After that, adjust TA to at least 60 using baking soda - again refer to Pool Math for dosing amounts.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great entry to the forum!

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum JKM
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Chlorine has been started. Thanks for the CYA-in-a-sock method. Seems I've always had the puck CYA problem

9. Back To Top    #9

Lot's do, most that come here with problems in fact. It's ok though, you're aware and that is the biggest hill to get over. Easy from here..
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem