correcting our water from the deluge

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
OMG. We got 9 inches where I live! Our pool overflowed. We lost power for almost 24 hours. During that time, our pool turned cloudy. We turned the pump back on. Being a first-time pool owner, we don't really know what to do so this is what we Have done so far:
1. the pumps turned on automatically but they shut off at 7p and power came back on at 6:45p.
2. i set the timer to run from 7:15 to 6:30 a.m. Our pump Normally runs 7-7 with a higher RPM from 9-4 for our saltwater thing.
3. I cleaned the skimmer baskets and got all floating debris out.
4. We started pumping water out.

Now what? pumps will run all night. Saltwater chlorinator at 7:15 said 3200. I am wondering if that will change by morning.

I have a feeling your SWCG will shut down due to low salt. Have back up chlorine ready (bleach).

Keep the FC level up, test and adjust manually if necessary - don't wait for the SWCG to catch up.

Vacuum any mess from the bottom of the pool.

If it doesn't clear in a day or two, SLAM the pool.

I'm sorry, what's FC? free chlorine?
Husband wants to know if we can use chlorine tabs. We have some that we used before we started the saltwater thing
OH our chlorinator has a s Super Chlorinate button. Should we use that? If so, for how long????

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on putting the Shark in the pool tomorrow after tonight's/morning storm. I am religious about cleaning that stupid pool. it's killing me that it's so dirty now but there's just no point.

Last edited:
Even with a SWG, it's probably not a bad idea to keep a small stash of liquid bleach on hand for emergencies such as this. Try to keep it in a cool, dark place like a closet or utility room so it stays fresh for as long as possible.

I would recommend the superchlorinate over the tabs. The tabs are not very slow at adding the chlorine and what you need right now is to get some quick chlorine in there. Bleach would be the chlorine source of choice though.

Glad to hear y'all are ok. Lots of our TFP folks in Houston area.

I'm sorry, what's FC? free chlorine?
Husband wants to know if we can use chlorine tabs. We have some that we used before we started the saltwater thing
OH our chlorinator has a s Super Chlorinate button. Should we use that? If so, for how long????

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on putting the Shark in the pool tomorrow after tonight's/morning storm. I am religious about cleaning that stupid pool. it's killing me that it's so dirty now but there's just no point.

I use bleach regularly and I just bought some but I am guessing it won't be enough. it's a small bottle.
This is our first time dealing with this and the storm was SO out of the ordinary. We made national news. 4th largest city under water. it's really bad here. There's another storm coming in allegedly tomorrow morning early just in time for rush hour!

- - - Updated - - -

how long do we turn the super chlorinate on for??? it doesn't turn off automatically we found out.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the super chlor thing doesn't shut off just this week. I came on here to find out suggestions - we were having our first party and I thought I had read something here about when you have so many people in the pool you should...BUT the site was down! We had our first pool party ever with a bunch of teenagers -- about 20 -- and later that evening the pool was cloudy. I couldn't come here, so we turned on the SC and I thought it would shut off and it didn't! we later tested and everything was fine but I was wondering if we should have SC'd it BEFORE they came or what...

well you'll need to get some chlorine in the pretty quick so algae cant get hold of it.

By the way, I agree with BoDarville that by the time you pump teh excess water out, your salt will probably be on the low side.
Dont put any in though until your SWG tells you the salt is low.

Im a couple hundred miles north of you. We Only got 5 inches last night. Had to pump my pool out too.
Crazy el nino year. I never remember so much rain for so long a period of time.

hopefully the weather man is wrong about more rain for y'all .

That "super" chlorinate button is a great marketing tool, but mostly useful if you just wanna bump the FC up a couple of points or so before, during or after a party. In my opinion, other than that, it is too much unnecessary wear and tear on the cell when you can load plain bleach in there and get almost instantaneous results which is what it sounds like you need at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That "super" chlorinate button is a great marketing tool, but mostly useful if you just wanna bump the FC up a couple of points or so before, during or after a party. In my opinion, other than that, it is too much unnecessary wear and tear on the cell when you can load plain bleach in there and get almost instantaneous results which is what it sounds like you need at the moment.

We put some bleach in last night and now the storm we were supposed to get is coming through but it is NOTHING like Monday night. Nothing. It took a really long time to lower the pool level it was so high.

I feel your pain, mine has topped out twice this year, and almost a third time yesterday. And that's only rainwater that can fall in due to the coping around my pool perimeter. Around 1500 gallons each time it tops out. I've lost a good chunk of my calcium hardness (CH) and cyanuric acid (CYA).

After a hard/heavy rain I've noticed my pool get slighty cloudy, enough to notice. The few times it has been cloudy, it never registered anything on the combined chloramines (CC) test. All I did was make sure my free chlorine was in the proper range (I manually chlorinate), and the cloudiness was usually gone within a day.

I feel your pain, mine has topped out twice this year, and almost a third time yesterday. And that's only rainwater that can fall in due to the coping around my pool perimeter. Around 1500 gallons each time it tops out. I've lost a good chunk of my calcium hardness (CH) and cyanuric acid (CYA).

After a hard/heavy rain I've noticed my pool get slighty cloudy, enough to notice. The few times it has been cloudy, it never registered anything on the combined chloramines (CC) test. All I did was make sure my free chlorine was in the proper range (I manually chlorinate), and the cloudiness was usually gone within a day.

I cleaned the sucker today. Didn't take as long as I thought it would. It's clear. We ran the pumps all night to make up for the hiatus but the SC says 2800. I will take a sample to Leslie's today to see where we are.
Did not get that much rain today - yay!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.