Help Please! Opened Pool, Shocked and very low FC

May 26, 2015
Turnersville NJ
Ok so I opened pool filled it up and have clear water.....pool store told me to use three bags of dura shock to open based on pool size (a/g 27 round).....shocked pool and next day strip shows no chlorine. sample brought to pool store shows FC .12 ppm - TC .45 ppm - CC .33 ppm - PH 7.2 - hardness 85 ppm - alkalinity 110 ppm - cyanuric acid 20ppm. Pool store said may have chlorine lockout and to put more bags in so I added two more bags of dura shock and still no reading on strips......please advise as to best course going forward. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

The advice you have been given by the pool store is flawed on so many counts. The first thing you need to do is decide between our methods and those of the pool store as the two methods are incompatible. Their primary goal is to sell you chemicals whereas our primary goal is to help you achieve a crystal-clear pool while using far fewer chemicals.

If you choose our method (the one I have been following for 4 years now with outstanding results), then you need to order one of the Recommended Test Kits. Proper testing is the cornerstone of our methods and advice given depends on quality test results. Multi-Test strips are inaccurate and lack the precision needed to properly manage your pool.

Here's some information to give you an overview of our methods:
  1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
  2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
  3. Chlorine CYA Chart
  4. Pool Math
Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different. [/list]
Here's how to do this: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

I absolutely want to be done with the pool store.....year after year their advice has been poor at best. They did a computerized test so the results I posted are probably accurate and I will definitely order a recommended test kit. What can I do in the meantime so the pool doesn't get out of hand. The water is clear right now. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.