Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please! Opened Pool, Shocked and very low FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please! Opened Pool, Shocked and very low FC

Ok so I opened pool filled it up and have clear water.....pool store told me to use three bags of dura shock to open based on pool size (a/g 27 round).....shocked pool and next day strip shows no chlorine. sample brought to pool store shows FC .12 ppm - TC .45 ppm - CC .33 ppm - PH 7.2 - hardness 85 ppm - alkalinity 110 ppm - cyanuric acid 20ppm. Pool store said may have chlorine lockout and to put more bags in so I added two more bags of dura shock and still no reading on strips......please advise as to best course going forward. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please! Opened Pool, Shocked and very low FC

Welcome to TFP!

The advice you have been given by the pool store is flawed on so many counts. The first thing you need to do is decide between our methods and those of the pool store as the two methods are incompatible. Their primary goal is to sell you chemicals whereas our primary goal is to help you achieve a crystal-clear pool while using far fewer chemicals.

If you choose our method (the one I have been following for 4 years now with outstanding results), then you need to order one of the Recommended Test Kits. Proper testing is the cornerstone of our methods and advice given depends on quality test results. Multi-Test strips are inaccurate and lack the precision needed to properly manage your pool.

Here's some information to give you an overview of our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    3. Chlorine CYA Chart
    4. Pool Math

Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.[/list]
    Here's how to do this: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I absolutely want to be done with the pool store.....year after year their advice has been poor at best. They did a computerized test so the results I posted are probably accurate and I will definitely order a recommended test kit. What can I do in the meantime so the pool doesn't get out of hand. The water is clear right now. Thanks again
    Above ground 15,000 gallon vinyl w/ sand filter .....more info to come

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool store testing is rarely right.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jfranchi9
    What can I do in the meantime so the pool doesn't get out of hand.
    You can add & maintain 2 ppm of chlorine for now, but this is not a long-term solution. It will buy you time until your test kit comes in (which I would suggest ordering tonight).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

+1 on getting a recommended test kit pronto! I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach