Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting up. Should I add cya now or after slam.

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting up. Should I add cya now or after slam.

I finally got around to opening the pool. I drain and refill every year. There is always about 3 inches of gunk I can't get out. I removed all I could and filled. I am slamming now. But my question is, is there an advantage to holding off on the cya until slam is done to save on chlorine because I am slamming at a lower rate. Or is the sun's consumption of the chlorine going to out weigh the savings? I'm in southeast pa full sun. And have no cover.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting up. Should I add cya now or after slam.

Hi,
    the sunlight will outweigh any savings.

Bump the CYA up to 30 and you'll be good.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding it now thanks
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

4. Back To Top    #4

From the SLAM directions:
    SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight.*

Here is the process to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool. It is important to follow all steps closely. If not, then the SLAM could last for months.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach