CYA 99, dumping masive amounts of water. Good idea?

May 25, 2015
Memphis, TN
I was using faulty test strips & ran my CYA way up to 99 PPM. Then I found your forum, had Leslie Pool try to sell me 45 Lbs of water hardener for my vinyl pool at $76 and now I'm trying to figure out your way. I ordered the test kit from the site and I'm attempting to dump half of my pool water to replace it and get better sanitizing from my bleach as well as have the ability to shock if necessary with a lower CYA. Is my thinking sound? Should I shoot for 50 PPM with around 12 hours + of direct sunlight on the water per day?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

While I love your enthusiasm and desire to do it the right way, the tenant of TFP care says that we make recommendations based on accurate test readings. Wait a couple of days and lets see what your testing reveals. I admit, a 99 on pool store testing is usually shorthand for "so darn high we can't test it".

Give us some test results to base opinions on.

FC was 4 but I added enough bleach to raise to 10 and I'm awaiting the adequate test kit to test over 5
TC was 4
CH 90
CYA 99
TA 100
pH 7.4
It seems I can assume water exchange is inevitable. Would you agree or should I wait for the test kit? If 100 is the max I can test for I need to add new water just to get a good reading I'm assuming. I was using pucks, powdered shock, & then added 4 lbs of CYA thinking I was still low before I found this web site.

You are on the right track for sure! Ordering the test kit will help you take over your pool.

How does your pool look right now?

Your thinking is sound until you get your test kit. Once you get your kit run the tests and let us know what the results are. There are videos for each test as well.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I grabbed an Intex pump from a seasonal pool & dropped it completely into the pool with the return hose over the side wall and ran it for a couple hours last night. I turned it off, turned on my water to fill & went to bed. I got home from work tonight & the water level was where it was when I went to bed last night. Turns out the pump continued to siphon all night & day. guess I'm about back to a complete restart. So, if ever I get a full pool I need to understand what I'm doing.
Do I fill to my max, run pump for 30 minutes, test chemistry, balance AK, Balance pH, add CYA if needed, then chlorinate?

Yeah, TA. I'll figure this stuff out eventually. I knew it was wrong, but couldn't remember & just kept typing. Is the order of adjusting levels the most important thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, TA. I'll figure this stuff out eventually. I knew it was wrong, but couldn't remember & just kept typing. Is the order of adjusting levels the most important thing?

Pool Should be full tonight, test kit won't be here till tomorrow night. I can test with a DPD kit tonight, but that'll leave me uncertain of where my CYA ended up. My concern is balancing tonight and still having high CYA tomorrow and needing to dump more. Hard to imagine after so much water loss, but I'm trying to save money. Should I get chlorine to around 5 for the time being & wait on the kit to confirm CYA, or balance everything I can now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.