Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA 99, dumping masive amounts of water. Good idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 99, dumping masive amounts of water. Good idea?

I was using faulty test strips & ran my CYA way up to 99 PPM. Then I found your forum, had Leslie Pool try to sell me 45 Lbs of water hardener for my vinyl pool at $76 and now I'm trying to figure out your way. I ordered the test kit from the site and I'm attempting to dump half of my pool water to replace it and get better sanitizing from my bleach as well as have the ability to shock if necessary with a lower CYA. Is my thinking sound? Should I shoot for 50 PPM with around 12 hours + of direct sunlight on the water per day?
    21K gal AG 30' round 4' deep. New 1.5 HP Hydrotools pump with very old sand filter. New to pools, new to chemistry.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 99, dumping masive amounts of water. Good idea?

Welcome to TFP!!

While I love your enthusiasm and desire to do it the right way, the tenant of TFP care says that we make recommendations based on accurate test readings. Wait a couple of days and lets see what your testing reveals. I admit, a 99 on pool store testing is usually shorthand for "so darn high we can't test it".

Give us some test results to base opinions on.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Tim. Although replacing half the water would not hurt anything ... After you test you may learn that you need to replace more water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

FC was 4 but I added enough bleach to raise to 10 and I'm awaiting the adequate test kit to test over 5
    TC was 4
    CH 90
    CYA 99
    TA 100
    pH 7.4
    It seems I can assume water exchange is inevitable. Would you agree or should I wait for the test kit? If 100 is the max I can test for I need to add new water just to get a good reading I'm assuming. I was using pucks, powdered shock, & then added 4 lbs of CYA thinking I was still low before I found this web site.
    21K gal AG 30' round 4' deep. New 1.5 HP Hydrotools pump with very old sand filter. New to pools, new to chemistry.

5. Back To Top    #5

You are on the right track for sure! Ordering the test kit will help you take over your pool.

How does your pool look right now?

Your thinking is sound until you get your test kit. Once you get your kit run the tests and let us know what the results are. There are videos for each test as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm trying to siphon the water out, but it's pretty slow any suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

Kim, the pool looks a little cloudy, but good. I just killed off & cleaned up a bunch of algae. Where are the test videos?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Erickson View Post
    Kim, the pool looks a little cloudy, but good. I just killed off & cleaned up a bunch of algae. Where are the test videos?
    As jason pointed out, and you seem to understand - at least a partial drain & refill is in your future. If you want to now, I would keep it top 1/3 to 1/2.

Videos are HERE
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Siphoning with a vacuum hose and not a water hose would be quicker.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a way to test CYA over 99?

11. Back To Top    #11

There is a dilution test you can do that is not all that accurate. See the extended test instructions sticky in the testing forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

So, I grabbed an Intex pump from a seasonal pool & dropped it completely into the pool with the return hose over the side wall and ran it for a couple hours last night. I turned it off, turned on my water to fill & went to bed. I got home from work tonight & the water level was where it was when I went to bed last night. Turns out the pump continued to siphon all night & day. guess I'm about back to a complete restart. So, if ever I get a full pool I need to understand what I'm doing.
    Do I fill to my max, run pump for 30 minutes, test chemistry, balance AK, Balance pH, add CYA if needed, then chlorinate?

13. Back To Top    #13

I do not know what AK is ... I assume you mean TA.

You should fill, circulate for an hour and then run a full set of test results to figure out what needs to be adjusted.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah, TA. I'll figure this stuff out eventually. I knew it was wrong, but couldn't remember & just kept typing. Is the order of adjusting levels the most important thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, TA. I'll figure this stuff out eventually. I knew it was wrong, but couldn't remember & just kept typing. Is the order of adjusting levels the most important thing?

15. Back To Top    #15

Usually chlorine and pH are the most important, but it really depends on the test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool Should be full tonight, test kit won't be here till tomorrow night. I can test with a DPD kit tonight, but that'll leave me uncertain of where my CYA ended up. My concern is balancing tonight and still having high CYA tomorrow and needing to dump more. Hard to imagine after so much water loss, but I'm trying to save money. Should I get chlorine to around 5 for the time being & wait on the kit to confirm CYA, or balance everything I can now?

17. Back To Top    #17

Well, you can not really do much until you now the CYA level. Sure you can raise the FC to 5ppm if you want.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Better question is:
    Will I run the risk of my fresh water getting contaminated while I wait to test CY?

19. Back To Top    #19

In a day ... not likely. Go ahead and add 2+ppm of FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

CYA 38
    TA 100
    pH 7.5
    FC 5.5
    CC 0
    CH 75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast