Can I use a floater if I keep my spa covered?

May 26, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
Can I use a floater if I keep my spa covered when not in use? Won't the cover make it sink? (The cover rests on the water). My bromine levels have been very high and I'm wondering if this is my issue.

Would a different floater work better? (I noticed the Pentair 332 says it can be used under a cover, but the 335 doesn't say that)

Thank you!!!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the bromine levels are high, then you must be using too much ... which is easy to do if it is always covered.

I would think any floater could be used under a cover as it does not matter if it is more submerged ... but if the is stuck in one place, then the acidic nature could degrade the spa surface or cover locally.

Spas use special kinds of floating dispensers that are closed at the top to prevent some of the outgassing. You do not want to use a floater that opens from the top. Also, you generally do not want to use Trichlor tabs since they dissolve too quickly in hot water and are very acidic so in a small volume of water the tub can get damaged more easily than in a pool.

Bromine tabs are not highly acidic the way Trichlor tabs are so that should not be a problem. If the bromine level gets very high, then it's outgassing can oxidize the hot tub cover.

My floater opens and closes from the top - is that bad? (It is this one - Intex Floating Chemical Dispenser for PureSpa, 5-Inch)

I'm not using Trichlor tabs, just bromine (and shocking with liquid chlorine). I'm a noob so I'm still figuring this all out!!

I think I simply put too many Bromine tabs in. I just filled it up, but then I realized this type of floater isn't so great, and they all get wet at the same time. I've seen the Pentaire 335 recommended a lot on here, but wasn't sure if the 332 would be better since mine is always covered - any idea?

And thanks for the quick replies!!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.