Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner recommendation.

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner recommendation.

Hello all. Looking to put in a Stenner to help automate chlorination. I am working a lot and want to make sure the pool stays nice and sanitary. Also, sick of pucks and constant CYA issues due to a small pool. So after a bit of research on this site, I've come up with this idea. I just want to run it by someone who has done it before and make sure I haven't missed anything. So I'm looking at Stenner Econ T series with built in timer. For options I am going to pick 8.5 gallons per day. Was a bit unsure about this but assuming I run pump for 6 hours minimum that would be up to 1.25 gallons per day, which should be more than enough. Agreed? Add on the 15 gallon tank which is will be mounted to. I was going to have it flow into the top part of my old in-line puck tube as some others have done. And it will be plugged into a gfci outlet which is already right there. Tell me your thoughts please. Thanks for your time.

I had considered a SWG but to be honest, I'm not the handiest of guys and the maintenance /installationseems like it may be a bit high.
    10k gallon in ground gunite pool. Cartridge filter. Gas heater. Sunny New Mexico.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner recommendation.

You absolutely do not want it running into a puck feeder. That is an extremely bad idea, with the potential for causing an explosion.

Other than that, everything sounds reasonably good.

I would get one with a slightly higher flow rate. 6 hours is a lot of time to run the pump, most than most pools need. You wouldn't want the Stenner forcing you to continue running the pump for extra time should you change your mind about how much pump run time you need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So this setup isn't safe? Maybe I said it wrong?
    New Stenner Convert
    10k gallon in ground gunite pool. Cartridge filter. Gas heater. Sunny New Mexico.

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

What would you recommend? Can I just tap into the line before the feeder? I will not be using pucks in there at all. Was that the unsafe part?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PeterChevalier View Post
    Was that the unsafe part?
    Mixing the chlorine in the chamber that used to hod the pucks. I would either tap the pipe as the last item (after the feeder) before it returns to the pool or cut and insert a "T" as the last item.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Cool. Thanks Jason for the recommendation on the bigger input tube. Can see how that could save a big headache in the future. And thanks Tim for the clarification on the tube. Not a whole lot of room after the tube, so maybe I'll just take it out and use that space for an injection point. So bear with the rookie question here. But assuming this is where I cut out the puck feeder, just get a T piece and inject on top where the arrow is?

image.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Exactly. Here is a link to my Stenner Pump install with photos
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice. I hope mine will look that good!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok. Ordered the Stenner with timer and uv tank. Here's a plumbing question someone may be able to help with. Where I cut out the puck feeder and put the T in, what's the best way to attach the chlorine hose to the T? Is it possible to make it so I can remove the tube in the winter while still keeping a sealed system? What do you think the best way to go about that would be?

11. Back To Top    #11

I used a "T" that is slip/glue on the two ends and threaded on the small leg. If needed, you can unscrew the injection point and screw in a plug.

12. Back To Top    #12

Cool. Is that t piece something you found locally at a store or did you have to order it?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by PeterChevalier View Post
    Cool. Is that t piece something you found locally at a store or did you have to order it?
    Lowes has them in the plumbing isle.

14. Back To Top    #14

The Amazon price is high, but this is what you need. I think they are about $3 at Lowes and Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

2015-05-28 20.14.50.jpg
    17K gallon IG Plaster. 48sqft Hayward DE filter. Stenner Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

I just used a drill and tap that I purchased at HD. All of about 5 minutes work. Injecter screws in the new taped hole. The instructions on your Stenner pump will tell you what size. 1/4" I think it was
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8