Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool wall sitting shelf question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool wall sitting shelf question

Just got a strange explanation about the construction of the sitting shelfs on the wall of the pool. PB said there is no excavation for them or rebar in them? They form them only with Shotcrete? Now I don't do this for a living but I have not seen one pool build here like that? Anyone else heard of this technique?

thanks
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool wall sitting shelf question

My sitting shelves were shaped with rebar, but my steps down from sunshelf were not.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I went back and looked at my build pictures and our bench was excavated and rebarred. Our steps were not. However, I think I've seen builds in which the benches were not rebarred or excavated.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have a bench running the entire length of the pool along one side. It was excavated and rebarred when built.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Just never saw a non rebar shelf. I understand there are at time several ways of doing something but when you see an odd way it makes you wonder if they found a better way or a cheaper way.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

6. Back To Top    #6

My bench runs the length of my pool and it has Rebar. My step were done with just gunite
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

7. Back To Top    #7

I have benches in the deep end. They were partially rebarred. I had cave in's as well in the deep end so the bench of soil was at most half (?) the size. I asked the same question as well and they built up what was missing with gunite. It went on in layers I believe.
    Steps and 9 foot benches off of them were all gunite.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

All of my benches and steps were rebarred
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

10. Back To Top    #10

The low cost of additional rebar for the bench should make installation a no brainer. Can you get away with no rebar, maybe so, but why would anyone want to skimp on this element of the build. My rule of thumb is to not skimp on items that get buried
    Owner Builder 15x32 sport pool. In process of building. Completing digging, plumbing, electrical, tile & equipment install myself, contracting out remaining.

11. Back To Top    #11

Our shelf is rebarred. The shelf is bigger than most since it provides seating in the grotto and provides a swimout for the slide. The top step is full width of the pool and has rebar. The bottom step is in only one corner and was gunnited.

If I had to guess, I would say it depends on the mass of the shelf. It is big, it should have rebar. If it is relatively small, then they can just pile up the concrete.
    Partially operational.
    17,000 g, SWG, tanning shelf, bubbler, slide grotto, Prism Matrix - Deep Blue Sea, 2x Hayward Ecostar VSP (one filter, swg, and bubbler; one slide and grotto).

12. Back To Top    #12

Met with another builder, they use rebar on the baja step, shelfs and steps. they use number 3 and number 4 rebar depending on what the city requires. I am thinking of just having them use number 4 and pay for the difference if it's not too much more. heavier steel has got to be stronger and I live in the earthquate capitol of the USA. Right?

13. Back To Top    #13

I think thicker rebar is always a good idea. When I checked when I was starting my build I think he difference between the two was only about a dollar or so for twenty feet of REBAR. The upgrade cost tinton would depend on how big your pool is. But total cost shouldn't be to bad. You also need to consider what grid they will provide. Some builders may do rigt by eight. Others may do twelve by twelve, etc. That will also affect the cost. I upgraded REBAR in certain locations I was concerned about
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

14. Back To Top    #14

As I recall, the swim out ledge at the 8' end of the pool is not rebar, nor are the steps. Seems like it could go either way.