Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick question on SLAM...

1. Back To Top    #1

quick question on SLAM...

Have not done this before, but was curious on adding chlorine and speed of dispersion.

When adding chlorine bleach, should I pour straight into the skimmer so that it is pumped out through the returns, or is the concentrated level harmful to the equipment? When I add acid for pH balance, I tend to pour it into the deep end in front of a return jet as that seems fairly safe assuming it gets quite diluted before it hits the pump, filter and other equipment. Should I do the same with the bleach?

Also wondering how long it takes to disperse. I have a 31K gal pool so if I dump 5 or 6 gallons of bleach will it really get evenly distributed in 30 minutes, or even an hour for that matter? Will I get accurate results from 1 test or do I need samples from several spots in the pool?

Seems basic, but I couldnt find those answers in the existing threads....

Thanks in advance!
    31K gal IG vinyl | Pentair Sand Dollar filter | Pentair Intelliflow VS pump | Pentair IC40 SWG | Aquacomfort H/C heatpump | Pentair Easy Touch controller | Dolphin M4 cleaner | TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: quick question on SLAM...

As far as bleach, add it as you do the MA.

How long it take to disperse will be determined by how many gallon per hour your water filters.

During a SLAM you can test and add every hour is you want to. I kept mine about every 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

What test kit do you have?
    Have you discovered Pool Math yet?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Shawnra,
    I woiuld recommend pouring the bleach in at several places around the pool, but alway pour it slowly right over a return.
    The returns will help mix it all up.

Its never good to put chlorine into the skimmer (even pucks). Chlorine is very corossive and a high concentration of it directly from the skimmer to the equipment can potentially shorten the lifespan if it because of hte corrosive effects. Especially the Seals in the pump.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I do have the TF 100 kit and have been using pool math regularly.

I didnt really think I had much of an algae problem as I only see a few small spots on the floor of the pool, but this morning I backwashed the pump and it was fairly green. I have never seen that before, so I guess its time to get to it!

We seem to have a pair of ducks that prefer the pool over the pond down the road. I have an idea that this is where the algae is coming from. An ideas on how the get rid of them . The dog is scared of them, so that just leaves me to chase them off a couple of times a day and that apparently isnt enough!
    31K gal IG vinyl | Pentair Sand Dollar filter | Pentair Intelliflow VS pump | Pentair IC40 SWG | Aquacomfort H/C heatpump | Pentair Easy Touch controller | Dolphin M4 cleaner | TF 100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ducks? LOL.. I dont have much of an idea on how to get rid of them except maybe a scarecrow of some sort
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

You might try stringing some fishing line across the pool, they will get caught in it and not come back. Worked for herons on my old koi pond.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach