Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellowish Brown stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellowish Brown stains

Hi, this was the first year I opened my pool. I hired a company to come out and get it started for me, but I took over getting the pool chemicals balanced. The pool was green and filled with algae. It's been a few weeks since it has been open. The water looks great, except for these stains around the bottom edges of the pool. I've scrubbed them, but haven't been able to get any off. I also tried holding a chlorine puck against it, but that didn't do much either. I have my pool at shock level now, but nothing seems to be getting rid of these stains. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you think it's mustard algae. It definitely looks organic to me. Here are my most recent test results.

FC- 12
    CC- .5
    Cal- 250
    TA- 90
    PH- 7.4
    CYA- 30- it was at 0, but I brought it up to 30 recently.

FYI- The pool is plaster.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Yellowish Brown stains

Could be iron staining. Try vitamin C tablets on the spot.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

It certainly isn't mustard algae, that would brush off fairly easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I embraced my stains and called them art. Now I have priceless art at the bottom of my pool and not stains.
    26000 gallon Kidney shaped gunite pool. Older pool with deep dive well, nice diving board and tall slide. 31" Hayward pro sand filter with Pentair 1.5hp pump. Testing with the TF-100 plus test kit. Using a Dolphin Nautilus pool cleaner robot, next to bleach, my pools best friend.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Identifying the stain dictates the treatment. The tri-chlor tab indicates it is not organic. Take cheap vitamin c tablets, crushed up in a sock, and hold them against the stain for about five minutes. The stain will hopefully disappear or greatly fade....now you know the stain is inorganic.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool Stain.jpgPool Stain 2.jpgThanks! I'll try Vitamin C. Here are a couple pics. I meant to post them before.
    - 18,000 Gallons, In Ground, Concrete/Plaster
    - Jandy Cartridge Filter Model #CL460, Jandy Pump Model #JHPU1.5 2 speed
    - installed in 2007

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, I should clarify that my FC was at 12 because I just brought it up to shock level. It was at 1 before I did that. So I feel like it could be organic.