Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Tube Pic...Black Dot

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Tube Pic...Black Dot

I am a newbie to testing. I have tested 5 times now within 2 weeks. Can you help me determine when the "black dot" is gone for the CYA test? The tube on the left is 50 CYA. The tube on the right is 45 CYA. 50 CYA tube has a faint trace of black dot. Am I being too anal about this? Which CYA level do the experienced folks think I have in that tube?

2015-05-26 17.07.54.jpg2015-05-26 17.08.38.jpg
    Pool Owner since Sept. 2014, but 2012(ish) in-ground pool. 40'x'20x3'(shallow)-8'(deep). Around 28,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. SWG. Aqua Rite with Hayward T-15 cell. Hayward Super Pump (self priming). Hayward Sand Filter. AquaPro Pro1100e Heat Pump. 2 main drains. 2 skimmers. 2 jets. 1 light. 1 diving board. Dolphin M4. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Tube Pic...Black Dot

It should be completely gone. I still see it a 50 ... maybe even 45.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a little subjective, but there no difference in 45-50. If you think it leans to 50, choose 50, or vice versa. The margin of error is 10-15 PPM. You're being anal.

Good to be accurate, but this test is not laser precise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    It's a little subjective, but there no difference in 45-50. If you think it leans to 50, choose 50, or vice versa. The margin of error is 10-15 PPM. You're being anal.

Good to be accurate, but this test is not laser precise.
    Lol. I majored in Chemistry and Math in college. Precision has been hammered into my head, and I've become more "by the book" as I age. Haha.
    Pool Owner since Sept. 2014, but 2012(ish) in-ground pool. 40'x'20x3'(shallow)-8'(deep). Around 28,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. SWG. Aqua Rite with Hayward T-15 cell. Hayward Super Pump (self priming). Hayward Sand Filter. AquaPro Pro1100e Heat Pump. 2 main drains. 2 skimmers. 2 jets. 1 light. 1 diving board. Dolphin M4. TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I say 45 looks more faint than 50 (I can still see the dot at 50ppm). So I'd ere on the side of caution and call your CYA 50ppm. Since you have an SWCG I assume you're trying to get to 70ppm, correct? Or are you trying to SLAM? Depending on what you're trying to do, I might call it 40ppm since that would force you to add more drops to make it completely gone....

One thing that might help is to buy the 50ppm CYA standard solution (I think it's either on Amazon or TFTestKits or both?) and play with that to "calibrate" your eyeball. I mixed up my own standard (70ppm CYA in distilled water) once and found it useful in helping me to gauge the dot....

But @Patrick_B got it right - the margins on this test are wide so 40 or 50 is not going to kill you.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm just trying to raise CYA and not doing a SLAM.