Hello everyone....my first post. Thanks in advance.
New pool owner as of May 2013. No issues until middle of August 2014. Pink mold on my ladder and skimmer. Went to the pool store and was sold United Chemicals Pink Treat. Listened to the directions given to me and poured away. Pink mold was gone but so was my chlorine. Until that time I would test using test strips and everything was nice and easy. So I began to read and read on the internet, this site a lot. Closed my pool, and read more over the winter months here in West PA. What I think is that I turned my pool into a bromine pool. I can kick myself for pouring that pink treat....but its done and over with. This was my game plan for this May, open the pool and drain half the water out and use a better test kit. I did this and I am still having problems. Water is clear.
Here is what I just tested with this morning.
Total Chlorine .05
Free Chlorine .05
Total Alkalinity 110
Calcium Hardness 200
When I tested a week after I added all that fresh water I had a CYA of 20, I added stabilizer. I am also going thru one -three inch puck a day to maintain my .05 chlorine reading.
Please help me...I don't want to get an algae attach again with the low chlorine level. My chlorine will hold overnight, at the .05 level but I am using way too many 3 inch chlorine pucks then I have ever did. Please let me know if you need further information. Thank you!