Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: You guys all think you're real smart, huh?

1. Back To Top    #1

You guys all think you're real smart, huh?

Well... if you do, that probably would be pretty accurate.

After a couple of months without my pool guy putting in his 5 minutes and two pucks once a week (if he showed up at all), I have managed to put in my own 5 minutes, no pucks, and about two cups of bleach per day. Oh, and I keep the $120 per month. And low and behold, all of the chemistry checks seem to sit perfectly balanced, I simply add bleach daily.

In short, my pool looks fantastic. Its so easy to sit on the edge and watch the water ripple in the sun, especially while my wife thinks I'm cleaning something. Best part? I don't have to go to the pool store and hear "Well, doesn't look good. You need 20 pounds of dehydrated water, three bottles of pool Blueifyer, 17.625 ounces of Pool Store Magic dust and two spritzes of kosher oregano. That will be $863 and your wife please."

Again, thanks,

Ed
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You guys all think you're real smart, huh?

Bwaahaaha! Good for you Ed!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The really amazing part is that it doesn't take any great intellect to run a pool almost perfectly. It's stupidly easy once you understand just a little bit. My grandson is 14 and has no trouble caring for the pool when we are gone. It's overcoming the pool store indoctrination that is hard.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

! here here !... yep yep yep
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Nomorepoolguys View Post
    Well... if you do, that probably would be pretty accurate.

After a couple of months without my pool guy putting in his 5 minutes and two pucks once a week (if he showed up at all), I have managed to put in my own 5 minutes, no pucks, and about two cups of bleach per day. Oh, and I keep the $120 per month. And low and behold, all of the chemistry checks seem to sit perfectly balanced, I simply add bleach daily.

In short, my pool looks fantastic. Its so easy to sit on the edge and watch the water ripple in the sun, especially while my wife thinks I'm cleaning something. Best part? I don't have to go to the pool store and hear "Well, doesn't look good. You need 20 pounds of dehydrated water, three bottles of pool Blueifyer, 17.625 ounces of Pool Store Magic dust and two spritzes of kosher oregano. That will be $863 and your wife please."

Again, thanks,
    Ed
    Hey Ed, that's pretty funny. Welcome to TFP if I haven't said so before.

Congratulations on keeping your wife, and a nice pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

GREAT POST, LOL
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Soooooo, where is this pool store that accepts the wife as payment? Also, am I obligated to purchase anything or will they just take the wife for nothing in return?
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is awesome! Glad you have learned!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    The really amazing part is that it doesn't take any great intellect to run a pool almost perfectly. It's stupidly easy once you understand just a little bit. My grandson is 14 and has no trouble caring for the pool when we are gone. It's overcoming the pool store indoctrination that is hard.
    Dang it! Just when I was beginning to think I was smart for knowing this pool stuff. I need to get my oldest on the pool maintenance this summer more...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    Soooooo, where is this pool store that accepts the wife as payment? Also, am I obligated to purchase anything or will they just take the wife for nothing in return?
    Take my wife... please?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Shhhhh....my family thinks I'm a genius!!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

Saw the title of this thread and came in with the hammer cocked on my infraction/ban button. Eased back down to safety now. Good job~!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    Bahahaha!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100