Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool is a swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool is a swamp

My husband usually tends to the pool by taking a sample to the pool store and spending way too much money on their recommendations. I told him I want to try the BBB method this year. We are just getting this up and running and I wonder if I should drain as much of the swampy water our first and refill it or just add fresh water to what is there and try to combat all the algea.

16 x 40 36,000 gal., IG, Vinyl, Sand Filter, TF 100 test kit. age (bought the house in 2012 with pool there, I believe it was 8 years old), Michigan

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: My pool is a swamp

Welcome to TFP!!

Our general rule of thumb is that 5,000 gallon pools are the upper limit of drain and refill to fix it.

We really try to down play the BBB name, because too many folks were running out and stocking up on the B's when they didn't need to.

If youa re going to follow our methods you will need one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results. I recommend the TF-100 because it comes with more of the stuff you use every day. Ge tthe XL option, because you are going to need the extra to clear the swamp.

Order your test kit and we can worry about the best course of action after we have test results.

While you wait you can do a little reading. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Hi Sandy. Welcome to TFP. The first thing you really must do .... order one of the recommended test kits (see my signature link). You MUST have a good test kit of your own. Do NOT reply on the pool stores or test strips, they will steer you in the wrong direction.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Weston, FL

Sandy, if you follow the methods here you're going to save a lot of money and make your husband a very happy man! You'll save a lot of frustration in the process. The pool store isn't going to like you a lot however! Get a recommended test kit and head over to pool school.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

And I highly recommend the speedstir.... Makes testing so much easier instead of having to swirl the test by hand.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Plus one one on getting one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from XL option and speed stir are great ideas.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool. The more you scoop out the debris the less bleach you will use and the more you brush the faster you will kill the algae.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach