Bleach--Best bang for my buck

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
What brand and percentage are you guys most commonly using? I hate to start a thread that is so popular but all the searches brought up some pretty old threads. I have a couple of pool stores close by also if they offer some good liquid chlorine. I also have a Sams Club but I don't know if I should buy a ton ahead of time. But, with a CYA of 90, hee hee...I currently have 3 191 oz jugs of Great Value brand. I like that it fits in the pool math calculator, but if there is a better deal, I'm definitely game.

I think it all depends on your location and timing. Sales, in-store stock, etc. Sometimes I grab a few "Great-Value" brands, then sometimes I may have a coupon for liquid shock somewhere. Anytime you can get the jugs for about $3 or so, you're doing good. The liquid shock from a pool store may be a slightly higher percentage, but if your pool in balanced, and you use the Pool Calculator, it doesn't really matter. Any regular chlorine bleach will do just fine.

In my area pricing on returnable jugs from the pool store are the cheapest followed by Aldi then Wally World. The pool store is more expensive per gallon but actually works out cheaper given the higher strength. All are pretty competitive. The big box stores aren't always the best deal here.

What brand and percentage are you guys most commonly using? I hate to start a thread that is so popular but all the searches brought up some pretty old threads. I have a couple of pool stores close by also if they offer some good liquid chlorine. I also have a Sams Club but I don't know if I should buy a ton ahead of time. But, with a CYA of 90, hee hee...I currently have 3 191 oz jugs of Great Value brand. I like that it fits in the pool math calculator, but if there is a better deal, I'm definitely game.

If Iron City, Tennessee is the booming metropolis it appears to be (/sarcasm), it appears your choices may be a bit limited. What stores do you have access to in your area?

If Dollar General is one of them, they offer a $5 off $25 purchase (before tax) just about each week. Their bleach is usually $2.95 per 121 oz (8.25%) so you can cut the price per bottle down to about $2.39 on a 9 bottle purchase. Check out Dollar General's promotions on their website and if you have a smartphone, you can get texts and/or use their app.

I'm sure other retailers have periodic promotions but DG run this one just about every week like clockwork.

If Iron City, Tennessee is the booming metropolis it appears to be (/sarcasm), it appears your choices may be a bit limited. What stores do you have access to in your area?

If Dollar General is one of them, they offer a $5 off $25 purchase (before tax) just about each week. Their bleach is usually $2.95 per 121 oz (8.25%) so you can cut the price per bottle down to about $2.39 on a 9 bottle purchase. Check out Dollar General's promotions on their website and if you have a smartphone, you can get texts and/or use their app.

I'm sure other retailers have periodic promotions but DG run this one just about every week like clockwork.

I am 30 mins away from Iron City. For some very strange reason our address is that because our mail comes from their post office.

I actually am 15-20 mins away from Florence, AL/Muscle Shoals area :) So, I have plenty of options. I never thought about the $5 off of $25 deal. Great idea!!! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.