Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach--Best bang for my buck

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach--Best bang for my buck

What brand and percentage are you guys most commonly using? I hate to start a thread that is so popular but all the searches brought up some pretty old threads. I have a couple of pool stores close by also if they offer some good liquid chlorine. I also have a Sams Club but I don't know if I should buy a ton ahead of time. But, with a CYA of 90, hee hee...I currently have 3 191 oz jugs of Great Value brand. I like that it fits in the pool math calculator, but if there is a better deal, I'm definitely game.
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach--Best bang for my buck

Sam's sell Clorox at about $9.50 for three by me. It's 121oz 8.25%.

I just stick with Great Valu from WalMart $2.97 each for 121oz 8.25%
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it all depends on your location and timing. Sales, in-store stock, etc. Sometimes I grab a few "Great-Value" brands, then sometimes I may have a coupon for liquid shock somewhere. Anytime you can get the jugs for about $3 or so, you're doing good. The liquid shock from a pool store may be a slightly higher percentage, but if your pool in balanced, and you use the Pool Calculator, it doesn't really matter. Any regular chlorine bleach will do just fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In my area pricing on returnable jugs from the pool store are the cheapest followed by Aldi then Wally World. The pool store is more expensive per gallon but actually works out cheaper given the higher strength. All are pretty competitive. The big box stores aren't always the best deal here.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

here is a handy calculator for you. It will tell you what you are actually paying per oz. of chlorine, and so you can use this to determine the best bang for your buck.
    Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    here is a handy calculator for you. It will tell you what you are actually paying per oz. of chlorine, and so you can use this to determine the best bang for your buck.
    Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

Well, aren't you just nifty, Dave! Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Bleach Prices 2015
    Here's a link to the current Bleach prices thread!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

I have all sorts of things to make pool stuff easy!

I dont take credit for inventing the calculator though. Someone else on the fourm made it and I keep that one in my bookmarks so that folks can actually tell what a good deal is, and isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    Well, aren't you just nifty, Dave! Thanks!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    What brand and percentage are you guys most commonly using? I hate to start a thread that is so popular but all the searches brought up some pretty old threads. I have a couple of pool stores close by also if they offer some good liquid chlorine. I also have a Sams Club but I don't know if I should buy a ton ahead of time. But, with a CYA of 90, hee hee...I currently have 3 191 oz jugs of Great Value brand. I like that it fits in the pool math calculator, but if there is a better deal, I'm definitely game.
    If Iron City, Tennessee is the booming metropolis it appears to be (/sarcasm), it appears your choices may be a bit limited. What stores do you have access to in your area?

If Dollar General is one of them, they offer a $5 off $25 purchase (before tax) just about each week. Their bleach is usually $2.95 per 121 oz (8.25%) so you can cut the price per bottle down to about $2.39 on a 9 bottle purchase. Check out Dollar General's promotions on their website and if you have a smartphone, you can get texts and/or use their app.

I'm sure other retailers have periodic promotions but DG run this one just about every week like clockwork.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, Waterfall on 2nd pump (1HP US Motor), Dolphin cleaning system, Central Arkansas, installed 1999
    1HP Emerson (main pump), Purex Triton II (TR 60) Sand Filter (replaced original 2016), Purex Triton Mini Max Plus 250 Heater (unused for several years)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bbodb1 View Post
    If Iron City, Tennessee is the booming metropolis it appears to be (/sarcasm), it appears your choices may be a bit limited. What stores do you have access to in your area?

If Dollar General is one of them, they offer a $5 off $25 purchase (before tax) just about each week. Their bleach is usually $2.95 per 121 oz (8.25%) so you can cut the price per bottle down to about $2.39 on a 9 bottle purchase. Check out Dollar General's promotions on their website and if you have a smartphone, you can get texts and/or use their app.

I'm sure other retailers have periodic promotions but DG run this one just about every week like clockwork.
    I am 30 mins away from Iron City. For some very strange reason our address is that because our mail comes from their post office.

I actually am 15-20 mins away from Florence, AL/Muscle Shoals area So, I have plenty of options. I never thought about the $5 off of $25 deal. Great idea!!! Thanks!