How much CYA should you really have?

May 26, 2015
Northeast,Alabama
Opened the pool with zero last year and zero this year. I tried to get it to 30ppm last year but I never got it even close to 30ppm I guess. After reading about pucks and too much CYA I scared my self in not putting much in the pool. How much stabilizer does a manually dossed pool need. I started off adding enough to get me to 40ppm this year. After being in the pool for a day, the sock I was using had a blow out and about 1/4 of it fell in the pool. Pulled the rest out and brushed to clear what fell in the pool. Got a new sock and only added 40oz this time. I have more in this year because the solution is getting cloudy unlike last year. The dot just disappears all the way to the top of the tube. How much is the very top of the tube? I usually dose to 4.0ppm chlorine every day. It is usually 2.0ppm or above every day so far this year. Yesterday was cloudy and was at 2.8ppm when I checked it at 9:00 p.m. What is normal loss for this time of year? Just trying to figure out how much I need.

You need to see the Chlorine/CYA chart in pool school. It will give you the minimum and target levels of FC for you cya level. I would start cya at 40 and see how your FC loss responds to that on a daily basis. I go either 50 or 60, pool in full sun, and still lose 4ppm daily------so I dose higher than the chart recommends to stay at or above the MINIMUM level.. EVERY pool is different!

Woo! Lots of questions in there. :) Assuming you calculated correctly and added enough stabilizer to get your CYA to 40, then added more, I would suggest holding-off on adding anymore stabilizer or you may run the risk of actually taking it up too high. Remember, unlike other chemical readings, it can take several days for that CYA reading to climb.

Its been over 2 weeks ago when I added stabilizer. The first dose was supposed to get me to 40ppm. The sock ripped and about 1/4 fell in the pool. Most all of it was still in a huge blob in the sock. I took the remaining 3/4 out and threw it away. I had no clue to gauge how much was left. So I got a new sock and added only 40oz of new stabilizer to be on the safe side. I did not add 80oz then 40oz more. Maybe 60oz tops. Just trying to figure out if their was a magic number I needed to get too. I guess I will leave it where it is for now until it starts to heat up and get more sun. Then reevaluate what it needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.