Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Cell

I have a Hayward T-CELL-15 Aquarite Cell 40K. This will be the first time to clean it. I've looked inside and it definitely needs it. I have purchased the stand and have read elsewhere that I can use white vinegar instead of muratic acid.

Question: Is 5% distilled strong enough?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Cell

Why would you use the vinegar instead of diluted muratic acid?
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Vinegar will work, kind of, but it is way less effective than muriatic acid. Higher concentrations of vinegar are more effective, though even 5% will have some effect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by robdac View Post
    Why would you use the vinegar instead of diluted muratic acid?
    I read where white vinegar was less harsh. Left it sitting overnight and didn't notice much of a difference. Will probably do the muratic acid in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Vinegar will work, kind of, but it is way less effective than muriatic acid. Higher concentrations of vinegar are more effective, though even 5% will have some effect.
    Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

100% muratic acid is to harsh, but a 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid for 15 to 30 minutes will do a great job and not damage your cell. I set my cell phone timer for 15 minutes and check. If I still see bubbling I give it another 15 minutes. After that I rinsed it out put it back and I'm good to go.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ffournier View Post
    100% muratic acid is to harsh, but a 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid for 15 to 30 minutes will do a great job and not damage your cell. I set my cell phone timer for 15 minutes and check. If I still see bubbling I give it another 15 minutes. After that I rinsed it out put it back and I'm good to go.
    Thanks! Picked up a gallon of muriatic acid today. 5% white vinegar did nothing.