Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cleaning Cell

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    7

    Cleaning Cell

    I have a Hayward T-CELL-15 Aquarite Cell 40K. This will be the first time to clean it. I've looked inside and it definitely needs it. I have purchased the stand and have read elsewhere that I can use white vinegar instead of muratic acid.

    Question: Is 5% distilled strong enough?

    Thanks!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    robdac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Weston, FL
    Posts
    232

    Re: Cleaning Cell

    Why would you use the vinegar instead of diluted muratic acid?
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Cleaning Cell

    Vinegar will work, kind of, but it is way less effective than muriatic acid. Higher concentrations of vinegar are more effective, though even 5% will have some effect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    7

    Re: Cleaning Cell

    Quote Originally Posted by robdac View Post
    Why would you use the vinegar instead of diluted muratic acid?
    I read where white vinegar was less harsh. Left it sitting overnight and didn't notice much of a difference. Will probably do the muratic acid in the future.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Vinegar will work, kind of, but it is way less effective than muriatic acid. Higher concentrations of vinegar are more effective, though even 5% will have some effect.
    Thanks

  5. Back To Top    #5
    ffournier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    43

    Re: Cleaning Cell

    100% muratic acid is to harsh, but a 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid for 15 to 30 minutes will do a great job and not damage your cell. I set my cell phone timer for 15 minutes and check. If I still see bubbling I give it another 15 minutes. After that I rinsed it out put it back and I'm good to go.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    7

    Re: Cleaning Cell

    Quote Originally Posted by ffournier View Post
    100% muratic acid is to harsh, but a 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid for 15 to 30 minutes will do a great job and not damage your cell. I set my cell phone timer for 15 minutes and check. If I still see bubbling I give it another 15 minutes. After that I rinsed it out put it back and I'm good to go.
    Thanks! Picked up a gallon of muriatic acid today. 5% white vinegar did nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •