Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need more info before I plunge in

1. Back To Top    #1

need more info before I plunge in

what about adding borax to a pool with no cya level, been thinking about it for a while. I have an indoor and we removed the cya that was added at the beginning to get the chemtrol to work. Recently can't seem to not get the PH up above 7.2 I have had the acid pump off since I brought the TA down like 2 months ago, but the orp wildly fluctuates.
    AG 4000 gal.13' round Louisburg(cedar sides,top rails) Vinyl liner commercial Watsu pool
    indoor, 96 degree, AutoPilot digital salt chlorinator, Chemtrol 250 automated controler
    CarefreeClearwater ion generator, Mecomatic acid feed, Whisperflo WFE-4 1 h.p. pump
    Pentair Master temp 250 HD gas heater, Pentair CC200 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need more info before I plunge in

Adding borates to an indoor pool without CYA is fine and has the same advantages as it would for an outdoor pool with CYA.

As for the rest, it would be easier to figure out what might be happening if you post a full set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The heater needs a Thermistor probe, I'm waiting on at the moment.Be here next week.
    so far I have
    PH 7.2
    TA 100
    Chlor 1.2 ran up a little to stop pump till part gets here
    ORP morning 450 evening 680
    phospates .02 or less
    reads 2400ppm at the cold temp.just overflowed pool will add when I start it up and get heater fixed reads different at 96 degree
    calcium seems to always run low I'll have it tested today.
    I will be doing some gassing off today too. I use a shop vac blowing out the wand tied to the ladder.
    AG 4000 gal.13' round Louisburg(cedar sides,top rails) Vinyl liner commercial Watsu pool
    indoor, 96 degree, AutoPilot digital salt chlorinator, Chemtrol 250 automated controler
    CarefreeClearwater ion generator, Mecomatic acid feed, Whisperflo WFE-4 1 h.p. pump

4. Back To Top    #4

That is an unusually large ORP swing, especially if your CYA level is zero or near zero. Do you know if the ORP swings correspond to the pump run time? One rare issue I am familiar with tends to cause ORP to fall while the pump is running and climb when the pump is off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

This is the opposite it is low and builds after the swg is on again.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by idowatsu
    This is the opposite it is low and builds after the swg is on again.
    That sounds normal enough. The question then is why does the ORP fall that much while the pump is off? A very early building up to an algae bloom could be using up chlorine while the pump is off. You should do a FC loss while the pump isn't running test. Test the FC level when the pump goes off and again just before the pump comes on for the next cycle sometime when there isn't anyone swimming and preferably at night (unless the pool doesn't get *any* sunlight). With no one swimming and no pump/SWG running the FC level should remain steady. If the FC level falls you have something organic growing in the pool.