Need to change sand after conversion

QUESTION - Do I use the k-1000 tester for the chlorine or the chlorine drop test? If the k-1000 square tester, do I add the CL and the BR numbers together? Under chlorine it goes -5 to 5, so not sure how to get it to fifteen without adding the two.

I may be looking at test squares wrong. Maybe each box is just showing a range. Just not sure about the Cl and Br at the top of the yellow side.

You use the DPD-FAS test (pink colored test) for chlorine levels over 5ppm. The OTO drops are really just a rough estimate of total chlorine. I use them just as a go/no-go test because I can never discriminate between the various shades of yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hate to keep asking questions, but... When using the DPD test, it says count how many drops until the water goes clear again. My water went clear after 3 drops, but after it sets there for 30 seconds or so, it turns pink again. So do you count until it initially turns clears, or the number of drops it takes until it STAYS clear?

hate to keep asking questions, but... When using the DPD test, it says count how many drops until the water goes clear again. My water went clear after 3 drops, but after it sets there for 30 seconds or so, it turns pink again. So do you count until it initially turns clears, or the number of drops it takes until it STAYS clear?

I'll assume you are using the 10mL water sample size to save on reagent? If so, then 3 drops = 1.5ppm. Did you measure CC's yet?

Yes, if you add the FAS reagent to the pink solution, make it go clear and then let it sit for too long, the pink color comes back. You need to perform the FC/CC tests with a little bit of speed. It helps to buy a SpeedStir. And you look super-dorky and cool to your kids and friends while using it!!

So, you need to do the FC test somewhat fast (~1 drop per second while shaking the test tube) and then add the CC reagent. That turns the clear solution back to pink as the R-0003 strips the chlorine from the CC's. Then you titrate again with the FAS drops keeping count to determine how high your CC's were.

Make sense?

Makes since. Still only takes 3 drops so I guess I'm at 1.5 still. JoyfulNoise - How do I measure CC?

Um, the test kit should have a full set of instructions, no?

If not, there are instructions on the TFP website.

Sort of hard to explain and I don't want to mess you up. You measure FC first (# of drops to change solution from pink to clear), then you add the R-0003 reagent which makes it turn pink again. Then you add more FAS drop to turn it clear again. The for number is FC and the sexing number is CC.

Definitely read the test kit instructions. I have left out a lot of detail as I do the test all the time.

See if this video below helps you out. It shows how to test for FC and CC using the TF-100. At this point however you're not close to worry about CC's however. Save the reagent until you're closer to completing the conversion.

FAS-DPD Test still at 1.5, BUT that is what it was last night. Is the loosing less than one what I'm after, or do I have to get to 15ppm before that matters? Pool looks like lemonade:) Backwashing and brushing regularly, too.

And thank you so much for the above help on the test - that was VERY helpful!!!

You must maintain shock levels of chlorine. It's important to get to 15ppm FC. You must demonstrate that your pool water can get to 15ppm and hold it. The oxidation of Baquacil (like algae and organics) is concentration dependent.

Remember, what you're doing is a SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain. The "maintain" part is critical.

The more frequently you test and dose, the faster this will go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC testing 2.5 now. 15ppm seems like a long way away! Every hour today so we'll see. Sludge is forming so hoping that means it is working.

attachment.php

Yup.

You absolutely are making progress. You need to get that FC up to 15ppm. It's ok to overshoot a little too. 18ppm is not going to hurt. If you have good mixing, you could try testing every 30mins or you could do two addition with only one test of FC every two additions until you start to hold at a higher FC.

And keep an eye on your sand filter pressure. It's going to go up and you need to keep it clean for good water flow.

Good update I think:) I've been brushing, testing, pouring, backwashing, brushing, testing, pouring... (you get the picture) ALL DAY:) I'm at 13 FC and I've been reading up on what to do when I see the pink stay pink until drop 30!! I know at that point I'm to the Maintain part of SLAM, so do I add to keep it at 15 or just test early the following morning and dose accordingly.

I've been researching my original question, too - Changing the sand. I have bought the sand, but know (since I changed it less than a year ago) that it is a real pain. I just watched the videos for a deep clean and wondered about that instead. We are without a shop vac right now and if I remember correctly, the changing of the sand would have been nearly impossible without one.

One other question since my husband (who is doubting this process entirely:)) has asked. Is it not a more efficient option when converting to just drain the pool and start fresh? I would worry about the pool structure/liner, but didn't know if that was a common suggestion or not.

Thanks so much for the past (and future) help! Literally couldn't have done it without TFPs and my helpers:)
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Good update I think:) I've been brushing, testing, pouring, backwashing, brushing, testing, pouring... (you get the picture) ALL DAY:) I'm at 13 FC and I've been reading up on what to do when I see the pink stay pink until drop 30!! I know at that point I'm to the Maintain part of SLAM, so do I add to keep it at 15 or just test early the following morning and dose accordingly.

I've been researching my original question, too - Changing the sand. I have bought the sand, but know (since I changed it less than a year ago) that it is a real pain. I just watched the videos for a deep clean and wondered about that instead. We are without a shop vac right now and if I remember correctly, the changing of the sand would have been nearly impossible without one.

One other question since my husband (who is doubting this process entirely:)) has asked. Is it not a more efficient option when converting to just drain the pool and start fresh? I would worry about the pool structure/liner, but didn't know if that was a common suggestion or not.

Thanks so much for the past (and future) help! Literally couldn't have done it without TFPs and my helpers:)
attachment.php

Even with a drain/refill you will have Baqua in various places. The plumbing, lights, cracks around steps all will contain the goo. While your process would be MUCH simpler amd quicker, you'll still need to follow the conversion. Add the risks of a drain and it's often not a good option.

As for the sand, deep cleaning VERY likely won't work. The BaquaGoo is rather sticky and will cause great issues in the future. Change this one last time after the conversion, then forget about changing it for the rest of your life.

By the way, I LOVE the pictures....my wife saw the image on my phone and cried out, "WTH?!?! Did somebody fill that poor person's pool with pea soup!"

You're doing awesome. Keep at it and you'll be goo-free in no time!!

YO! What's new?!? I need my funky green pool picture fix....

How's it going? Any new test results to report?

I'm kinda bummed:( I was at 14ppm of FC last night then had a long work day so just had my husband add 4 gallons mid afternoon and when I got home at 7pm I was at 4ppm:( I've literally bought all the bleach in our little town so my husband is bring some home. I've added about 40 gallon at this point. He's bring home 10 more tonight to add then we'll check again in the morning. It's dark so no pictures, but pool water looks like thick lemonade without the sludge. Hopefully more progress tomorrow!

forgot to add my test this morning was 7ppm, so lost quite a bit overnight.

I hear what your saying and I understand the frustration. That's how these clearing processes go, first a big jump than slow and steady slog to the point of almost being tedious. YOU WILL GET THERE ;)

As for bleach, any big box stores like Walmart or Costco nearby? You could also check with pool stores and see what they have in bulk.

I'm really pulling for you and I can't wait to see a picture of your pool filled with sparkly clean water.

By the time I got home this afternoon my count was at 1.5:( but the water isn't changing colors when I pour the bleach in. It's also losing its yellowness and getting clear. I am having more yellow to seem to pond in the bottom of the middle.

imagejpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.