What should I balance first (opening pool after winter)?

Jul 22, 2014
Sacramento/CA
Hello! First time opening a pool. Also, first time attempting to balance chemicals using the TF-100 test kit plus the Pool Pal mobile app.

I have quite a few questions (the questions are highlighted in blue), so thank you so so much, in advance, for any help with the following....

I have configured my app as shown in this first pic. I am not completely sure I have done it right. My biggest concern is the baking soda. The app only lists these two options: washing soda, and soda ash... and I'm not sure which one to select when using the arm&hammer baking soda.
pool chem 1.jpg

Next, I'm not sure which chemical needs to be balanced first. In case it's important, know that our pool had quite a bit of fine dirt and silt that we had a really time hard vacuuming up... but that has almost completely cleared up finally. The pool is still very foggy, but a white fog, rather than a green one (which it was when we first started).

So.... I understand (I think) that ph should be balanced first. The only problem is, my app is telling me to increase the baking soda (washing soda?)... but then at the same time, it is telling me to decrease the ph in order to get my alkalinity in check. So, what should I do first?

When I first opened my pool, I did not yet have the test kits, so I brought my water sample to a pool store, where they said my salt was at like 2700 they told me to add 50 pounds of salt to reach my goal of 3300. But I only put in 40 pounds. Then... now I have my test kit, and I am using the Taylor K-1766 salt test. It reads that my salt is now at 4000. I have retested 3 times and it is always the same. Should I trust the readings I am getting with the K-1766 test... or should I be concerned?

Here is the results and the suggestions of my Pool pal app:
pool chem.jpg

Can you also please tell me what the last two sections of the readings mean? What is CSI and LSI? It says that the results are corrosive? What do I do about those readings?

Thank you again! :D

Leave your PH alone. It will rise in no time with your high TA

Get FC level up is you first step.

You can add Stablizer to get your CYA to 75. Add it to a sock and set in top of of the skimmer or hang in front of a return jet until dissolved. Retest 1 week after you add.

Don't worry about the salt level unless you have alarms going off on your SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to work on lowering TA your PH is already perfect to add MA to start the lowering process.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you already use borates, you don't need them.
I don't know much about CSI or LSI

We do not use Pool Pal, we use our own Pool Math, so I won't try to answer any questions regarding your app or what it may be telling you to do.

What I will say - adjust pH first, but in your case it probably doesn't need fussing with. It will rise Totally ignore TA for now, maybe for a very long time.

Get more chlorine in the water. 3 is is the absolute minimum you should ever have at your current CYA and target 5 to account for loss to the sun during the day.

Ignore borates for now, totally optional and we want you to get the feel for and understand you pool before you add another dimension.

If you follow our advice and stay within our recommended levels CSI is basically irrelevant.

How does the pool look? Cloudy, clear, sparkling, green?

Before you go and adjust the CYA up more, are we sure noting is growing in the water? You can conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to verify this.

I'm not a fan of CYA ending in "5". The tube that is used for the test is not linear, so half way between 60 & 70 is not 65.

pooldv
Oh. Thank you. I will buy some borax. ;)

Azgirl71
Thank you for showing me the comparison! I will likely continue to use the pool pal app, as it's easier to take my phone outside than my computer.

LOL! REAL TFPers leave their computers set up by the pool at all times! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.