Copper Algaecide

May 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Okay, NOW I find one thread on the use of copper algaecide, well too late I used it. The pool store just kept recommending it. My cynauric acid level is 200 and I questioned getting that down first, but they kept saying do the copper first. Well I did, and then read more on it here. So I have used it, now what? Nothing noticed after a day and half, even the green is not quite gone, only a tad left. I am just concerned with the issue of the so called staining issue showing up, though I don't know what will stain.
Pool is 3 years old, gunite, med blue color, appx 18000 gal, Hayward media filter, 2 spd pump on high, great water circulation.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP! The best advice I can give you is to invest in your own test kit and stay away from the pool store! They will rob you blind!

Explore pool school. Especially the ABC's of pool water chemestry and recommended levels.

Welcome!

You are going to need to replace water to get the CYA level down anyway, and that should take care of any copper issues you might otherwise have had.

Copper in the water at levels high enough to fight algae is prone to staining the pool surfaces. This most commonly happens when the PH gets rather high, so keep the PH under control until you have time to replace water.

since I have added the copper, the rains here in TX had my pool full and overflowing. With water restrictions I was going to try and lower the CYA by using BioActive CYA reducer, but before I do that and turn my pool into a chemistry test I asked in a different forum if this stuff works since it is new. I cannot take it back, but wish I never added that **** copper algaecide that the pool store guy said to. NOW I have read your chemical section and will try to use liquid chlorine, get my own test kit, and go with that. Just have to figure out how to chlorinate without adding CYA when I cannot do daily pool chlorination. Thanks,

My cynauric acid level is 200 and I questioned getting that down first, but they kept saying do the copper first.
You changing water to get the CYA down doesn't sell anything.

As jason said, you are in for over a 50% drain/refill so most of the copper should go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just have to figure out how to chlorinate without adding CYA when I cannot do daily pool chlorination. Thanks,
There are automated systems for adding liquid chlorine to your pool, check out my Stenner Pump install.

Last I looked one of the BioActive technical notes said that copper in the water will sometimes prevent their CYA Reducer from working. Also, a number of people have posted their experiences with BioActive CYA Reducer and hardly any of them have gotten it to work usefully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.