Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper Algaecide

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper Algaecide

Okay, NOW I find one thread on the use of copper algaecide, well too late I used it. The pool store just kept recommending it. My cynauric acid level is 200 and I questioned getting that down first, but they kept saying do the copper first. Well I did, and then read more on it here. So I have used it, now what? Nothing noticed after a day and half, even the green is not quite gone, only a tad left. I am just concerned with the issue of the so called staining issue showing up, though I don't know what will stain.
    Pool is 3 years old, gunite, med blue color, appx 18000 gal, Hayward media filter, 2 spd pump on high, great water circulation.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Copper Algaecide

Welcome to TFP! The best advice I can give you is to invest in your own test kit and stay away from the pool store! They will rob you blind!

Explore pool school. Especially the ABC's of pool water chemestry and recommended levels.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

yes I hear you, and why do we always learn these things too late, ugggh.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

You are going to need to replace water to get the CYA level down anyway, and that should take care of any copper issues you might otherwise have had.

Copper in the water at levels high enough to fight algae is prone to staining the pool surfaces. This most commonly happens when the PH gets rather high, so keep the PH under control until you have time to replace water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

since I have added the copper, the rains here in TX had my pool full and overflowing. With water restrictions I was going to try and lower the CYA by using BioActive CYA reducer, but before I do that and turn my pool into a chemistry test I asked in a different forum if this stuff works since it is new. I cannot take it back, but wish I never added that **** copper algaecide that the pool store guy said to. NOW I have read your chemical section and will try to use liquid chlorine, get my own test kit, and go with that. Just have to figure out how to chlorinate without adding CYA when I cannot do daily pool chlorination. Thanks,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dannyk58 View Post
    My cynauric acid level is 200 and I questioned getting that down first, but they kept saying do the copper first.
    You changing water to get the CYA down doesn't sell anything.

As jason said, you are in for over a 50% drain/refill so most of the copper should go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyk58 View Post
    Just have to figure out how to chlorinate without adding CYA when I cannot do daily pool chlorination. Thanks,
    There are automated systems for adding liquid chlorine to your pool, check out my Stenner Pump install.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Last I looked one of the BioActive technical notes said that copper in the water will sometimes prevent their CYA Reducer from working. Also, a number of people have posted their experiences with BioActive CYA Reducer and hardly any of them have gotten it to work usefully.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

tim5055 I like your system, but now I am debating salt system or your type, always too many options.
    16x30 gunite/plaster, 15,500 gal, Flagstone coping, 3'-6' depth plus bench and sundeck, bubbler, Hayward 1-1/2hp 2pd Tristar pump, Hayward 550 cartridge filter, 320 Chlorinator, Smart Ozone Sanitizer, Hayward Viper cleaner, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns, 1 deck bubbler, Hayward booster pump for cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.