Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Colored pool surface finish (plaster, quartscape etc) and LED Color Lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Colored pool surface finish (plaster, quartscape etc) and LED Color Lights

Trying to make a final decision on our plaster and thought I'd throw this question out. Has anyone gone with colored plaster, quartzcape, pebble etc. and been disappointing that their lights weren't as vibrant or true color? A neighbor mentioned this to me AND I just had a conversation with a plaster guy who has no horse in this race and recommended standard white plaster for full colored light effect. I bought top of the line lights and don't want to be disappointed with how they look.

Interested in others first hand thoughts and experience.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Colored pool surface finish (plaster, quartscape etc) and LED Color Lights

I agree with plaster guy 100%. White will show all colors of the light the best, no question. They make nice white Quartz finishes if you want an upgrade from plain plaster.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I second an upgrade from regular plaster. I saw a beautiful pool in Pearl Stonescapes or Jewelscapes (not sure which). It had a very white feel to it, but had some gorgeous depth and sparkle I've never seen in plain white plaster. Might be worth checking into...
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was just shocked by what he said he'd put into his pool if he was building it today. I need to see a white quartz vs. plain white plaster. Saw a beautiful application of quartzscape today, same guy who is doing mine did this pool.

Anyone know the life span of plain plaster vs. plaster with quartz?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quartz is supposed to last longer. Some say up to 50% longer. (10 yrs vs. 15)
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Without a doubt the darker colors will mute the lights a great deal. If this is going to be an issue for you then I strongly recommend the lighter colored finishes.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

In my recent pool build, we chose a darker color for the interior pool surface. Fortunately, a co-worker of mine had built a pool with the same color so I could "try it before I buy it." With the darker colors, the various colors of LED lights didn't work all that well as the normally-bright LED colors get washed out by the dark surface. Based on these observations, I put in white LED lights in my pool, and I'm quite happy with the results.

Of course you can have it both ways....install the colored lights. If you don't like the results, you can always leave the "white" color on and forget about the others.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a gray colored quartz (Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda) with Intellibrite color LED's and am happy with the light output/color intensity. Definitely glad I went with two lights in the pool instead of one. I am sure they would look more true color and vibrant with a white plaster... but unless that white pool was sitting next to mine, I wouldn't know any different.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

We have the Aruba Sky QuartzScapes that is a lighter blue and Intellibrite lights. I find that the blue light is enhanced somewhat with the light blue plaster but the other colors are fine.
    Now the other big thing is with a white or very light plaster and depending on how much sun your pool will get, is that the white will help your water stay a little bit cooler in the summer. My wife wanted a much darker blue plaster but after talking to someone who had just built a pool 2 years before and the pool gets sun almost all day. He said the dark plaster made his water get too hot in the summer and wish he had gone lighter. So i talked the wife into going lighter blue instead. On the down side is that lighter plaster will show dirt and stains more so that a darker color. Just something else to think about.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

White quartz may be a solid middle ground for your job. You get the durability of quartz but retain the white surface for good lighting.

My good friend just replastered last fall and went with a white quartz finish. You have to look closely but you can see the grey speckled quartz in the white, otherwise it has the look of a standard white plaster. I went with the Quartzscapes Aruba Sky quartz because I really wanted a deeper blue color. You can see some streaking / mottling in the finish, but that was expected. It was a give / take scenario, and I knew that.

With regards to the lighting - the LED's are still vibrant with the exception of the red. I've seen many pool pics with the Intellibrites and red seems to always be the weakest. Also note that because your tanning ledge will be above the light, it will not light up like the rest of the pool.

Here's the green LED at night the Aruba Sky plaster:

IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See