Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool frame rusting out

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pool frame rusting out

I will get photos up here shortly.
    We have a Intex 16ft x 42" Pro Metal pool. Its like 3 yrs old. Overall been good. HOWEVER we went with there salt generator for a year. It broke last year during the first year of use. So we went back to adding chlorine. Shortly after switching back we started to notice rust appearing on the metal legs and connectors. Now almost every leg and connector is rusted through. One side is basically about collapsed.
    I was wondering if anyone else that had a Saltwater generator every had this type of issue. ?
    I am also wondering is it from the splashing of water while in the pool even with the generator in use that started this or did it happen after the switch back.
    I am really ****** about this and right now as things are really tight with us to have to go and try to get another pool for the kids (4 of them under 7 yrd old !) in this hot summer here in Florida already.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Intex pool frame rusting out

I have or had this experience with mine. However, there are some threads if you use the search box where others have had bad problems with rust. I would take the pool down or try to replace the rusted pieces somehow. Not safe if it may collapse.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Our Intex pool rusted completly at most joints with some leading to failure. We just bought an ultraframe pool. Hope its better than the standard pool.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

4. Back To Top    #4

Last year was our first year with a ultra frame pool and when I took it down for winter every leg, t-joint, and horizontal bar was rusted. All I used was chlorine. With a 5yr old and a 1yr old that will use the pool this summer I decided to just buy a whole new pool and see how this one goes. With the ultra frame if you can figure out some way to keep water from getting in the gap between the t joint and bar maybe you will have a chance. I know these are cheap pools and I shouldn't complain but I expected more then one summer before I had to replace it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Orlando, FL

Yep. I don't know what caused it but I moved on from Intex. Like Lisa said, there are lots of threads about this but there are no definitive answers.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

I took a three and a half year old ultra frame down yesterday. Pho rust, and I had even left it up over the past two winters. I was surprised how good the joints looked. I am upgrading the size, so I gave it to my friend I. Exchange for the excavation in a new site.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!