My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Some folks here will scoff at me but I buy my bleach at a Dollar store. Using pool math I determined that it's 6% and only $1 for a gallon. It says Fresh Scent on it, but there is no scent added. They are just marketing it funny. I bought all they had. Just make sure it's a true gallon, and is not lemon or lavender. Mine had a March 2015 date on it. When I checked two days ago, their stock was marked April 2015...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All SLAMs are different. Mine was 13 days. I have seen some go as long as a month if they were really green to start with.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get it to turn color from the dark green it is now, you will notice things move a bit faster.

There are a few things you can do to make it go faster and use less bleach.
Scoop out everything out of the pool. less stuff in the pool to use up time and chlorine
Let the chlorine take care of the stuff you can't scoop out
Brush a few times a day to loosen the algae and expose it the chlorine to kill it faster
Keep the chlorine level up at shock level as much of the time as possible

ANY idea at all how long that might take, based on your SLAM? Am I looking at a couple of days, a week, weeks??? Just wanting to have an idea of what to expect.

I have not updated my thread in a while, but I just bought gallon number 90 of 10% bleach. I am not even close to finished.

My advice to you though is to make sure that you brush and vacuum. I used a leaf rake for several days and never brought up anything. My 6 year old daughter started playing with the vacuum last night and hit a pocket of leaves that plugged the skimmer twice. I had worked for days and could not find anything.

She is now in charge of vacuuming :p

Thanks for all the tips.. I've been brushing at least 3 times a day. I tried to vacuum but I can't hardly get any suction. I've put the one end into the skimmer, the hose in the water, the other end to one of the outlets to let it fill with water, it will have a suctions for a min, but not very strong. Then I'll check it in a few mins, and no suction. I was vacuuming to filter for the time being, not to waste, just seeing if I can get good suction. Am I doing something wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.