Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Temperature (Temp) Sensor

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Temperature (Temp) Sensor

Yesterday my pool temp. sensor started reading that my pool temp was 159 degrees which is totally off. Anyone have any idea why the sensor would be reading so off like that?

Time for a new sensor?
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

AquaLogic PS 4/8 Controller - Override

I have the AquaLogic PS8 controler for our pool. I'm having issues with our pool temp sensor as it is reading 159 degrees, the pool is actually closer to 84 degrees. Anyway, my question is obviously it wont let me turn the heater on as it is in Auto mode and thinks that 159 is the actual temp. Is there a way to manually override the AquaLogic and have the heater turn on?

Thanks
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Temperature (Temp) Sensor

Remote, electronic temperature sensors typically use a thermocouple to detect temperature. It's essentially two wires of dissimilar materials that are joined together at the detection point. When your temperature reading is very high, usually displayed as the highest temperature that the software/firmware can display, that means there is a short in the thermocouple, the wire is cut, broken, no longer completing the circuit (infinite resistance in the circuit). Likely need a new sensor.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition to complete failure, a short somewhere, perhaps where the wire connects to the main panel, can do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reply JVTrain. Just ordered a new sensor. Attached is what I think is the culprit sensor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131788...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131788...posted-public/