Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from a complete newbie.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from a complete newbie.

Hi to everyone

So we have just rented a bungalow, which came with a 10 x 5 Overflow pool. We did not want a pool really, but now we have it I have to learn to maintain it. So we have got the pool clean now after a couple of backwashes and cleaned the sidewalls etc. But now we have done a test and we have this. It just not look right. Does any know how to sort this problem out. Many Thanks. B.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from a complete newbie.

Welcome to the forum Bill,

It appears that your Chlorine is through the roof high if the reagent is good, and your pH really may not be too bad at all presuming the same.

I understand you are renting, but if you are truly going to manage this properly (even though small) you need a good test kit. Chemical cost is going to be very, very small so that is one upside. We can help you do this if you wish and it will be quite easy, but you have to know what's going on in the pool. The only way to always know is through proper testing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! You sure have found the place to keep your pool clear! We can help keep it clear using products you buy at Walmart!

BUT the first thing you need to buy is a GOOD test kit. Look below in my siggy for the link to the test we use and love.

We use bleach/chlorine to keep our pools clear!

Those colors do look way off. Do you have any idea what they used in the pool before you go there? The orange on the yellow cap has me puzzled.

I will check back on this later this morning to see if we can figure out how to keep the pool clear until your test kit gets there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I imagine there is enough FC in that pool to stay clear for some time. I would advise not adding more chlorine if you have any on hand. Not until you can test with a better kit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

The orange means that your FC is much higher than that test can measure. With FC that high the pH test is not reading accurately, though it does look low.

There are two parts to the FC equation though, and without knowing the CYA there is no way to know if your FC is too high, just right, or possibly too low. Being outside the US makes it difficult for us to recommend a good kit since we don't know what is available to you locally, but what you most want to find is the Taylor K-2006. If you can find that it will make things a lot easier. If you can't then the bare minimum is a 6-way kit with drop based tests (not test strips) that does Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity, and Cyanuric Acid (sometimes called Stabilizer).

Are you taking over 100% maintenance of the pool? Are you or the owner supplying the chemicals? A lot of our advice will depend on what choices you are allowed to make with the pool. Either way we can at least point you in the best direction to go for your individual situation.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

You know, I don't know what sort of test kit you can find over there actually. Post back and let us know what you have seen. It may be more difficult to advise you, but we can certainly try.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

See if you can find one of these. The TF50 and TF100 will not be available outside the US.
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Just to be clear, the TF50 and TF100 are only available in the US, but you may be able to find one of the other kits.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

The OP is in Cyprus, so he will not be able to obtain a TF100 over there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I just wanted to say Welcome to TFP! You have been given some great advise to get you started.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Well thanks for all your replies. Very impressed. Yes it looks as if there is too CL in the pool. Must have got carried away with that. Sorry for posting pic twice. Donldson. We are to fully maintain the pool. We have the 6 drops kit at the moment. So will not add any more CL to the pool. Have been told that normal sunshine (And there is a **** of a lot of that here now) helps to clear the CL. We are going back to the UK in a few days and will be there for 10 days. So think we will just leave the pool as it is. but will set the filters for 4 hours a day while we are away.

Again many thanks for all your help. B

11. Back To Top    #11

Good deal. See what it is when you get back. Not much you can do, and if you're gone, it needs Free Chlorine. Looks like you have some.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

It will be interesting to see what he can find. Where IS Cyprus?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Kimkats. Cyprus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is Cyprus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    I just wanted to say Welcome to TFP! You have been given some great advise to get you started.
    Hi thanks. looks like all the help you need is here. Looking forward to lazing in the pool when it's sorted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Welcome to TFP! You sure have found the place to keep your pool clear! We can help keep it clear using products you buy at Walmart!

BUT the first thing you need to buy is a GOOD test kit. Look below in my siggy for the link to the test we use and love.

We use bleach/chlorine to keep our pools clear!

Those colors do look way off. Do you have any idea what they used in the pool before you go there? The orange on the yellow cap has me puzzled.

I will check back on this later this morning to see if we can figure out how to keep the pool clear until your test kit gets there.

Kim
    Hi no Walmart over here, but back in the UK we have ASDA which is part of the Walmart group, so will have a wander in there. But not much call for pools in the the UK though. Rubbish weather over there.

14. Back To Top    #14

So what you need to do is look around for a place to get bleach/chlorine for you pool. Thanks for the link. I am looking at it right now.

kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Hello from a very sunny Cyprus. Looking through the forum, i think my problems are quite minimal really, at least we don't have worms and gunge in the pool. Have to say glad i found the forum though. brilliant.

Well the pool is looking better now, but still to much BR-CL. Have not added any thing to the pool. Will just leave it until the CL clears a bit. So now i want to clean the filter as it is full of Oleander leaves, as there is a massive hedge of it near the pool and had some very strong winds over the last couple of days. I know you have to turn every thing off. And release the pressure in the filter tank. So this is our Sand Filter Unit. Do you reckon the black thingy on the bottom of the pic is the pressure release valve. I cant find any other valve of any kind. Looked on the net but cant find any info of this make of sand filter. It's called Water Fun Series S Sand Filter. It's made from Fiber Glass. My God there is a lot to learn about keeping pools eh.

Many Thanks again. Bill.

Attached Images Attached Images
    We have a in ground 10 x 5 Overflow Pool. All tiled in pale blue with dark blue at the top. In the pump room is the usual sand tank with a multifunctional thingy and a pump filter and timer.
    Bill.