Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing water for cya

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing water for cya

My Pool is going to be filled in a about ten days, and I have been reading up to learn how to take care of the pool. I read in Pool School that if the CYA is too high, I will need to remove water from the pool. I am curious how that is done. I have a Cartridge filter, so I won't backwash, and wasn't sure what method I would need to use if removing water was necessary.

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing water for cya

It's very easy when you start. You simply control how much you put in, and you never have to worry about that happening. If you use a stabilized source and let it get out of control, then you'll have to buy or rent a submersible pump to move out the over stabilized water, then refill with your normal source. By far the best plan is to control it as you go by not using stabilized Chlorine as your only source of FC.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Grottoguy, that basically happened to me before I learned TFP. I had a new pool in 2013, and like so many new pool owners I wanted it to have the best, so I listened to my pool contractor and the local pool store. BIG mistake. I was using bags of shock and 3" tabs like crazy. By the end of that season (in only about 5 months) my CYA was over 90. Well, I managed to lower it simply by using my cartridge filter drain to purge some of the water out then replenishing with new water. But the biggest relief came over the next few months with lots of rain which helped me turn-over the water as well. This was the first season I actually had to get some stabilizer to bump-up my CYA a bit. So as Patrick stated above ... if you stick with the TFP principles, and are careful about how much you put-in at the beginning, you won't have any problems. Enjoy your swimming season.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed, I've never had to drain any water out of my pool.

Have a look at this, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    It's very easy when you start. You simply control how much you put in, and you never have to worry about that happening. If you use a stabilized source and let it get out of control, then you'll have to buy or rent a submersible pump to move out the over stabilized water, then refill with your normal source. By far the best plan is to control it as you go by not using stabilized Chlorine as your only source of FC.
    ^^^This^^^

Freshly filled pools start out with zero CYA. How much gets added depends on what the owner adds to it. Texas Splash had to learn that the hard way, now you have the opportunity to do it right from the beginning and learn from his experiences. What happens to your pool now is entirely up to you.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I've never had to drain my pool for CYA but I've had to drain it due to excessive rain. I just use a 1.5" pool hose and create a siphon and drain it to the corner of my yard. Going from filled to the top to normal level takes ~30 minutes.
    Size: 21,000 w/SPA IG/Pebble & Hayward 400k BTU Heater
    Sanitizer: Hayward GLX-CELL-15-W 40K-Gallon Turbo Salt Cell + Bleach
    Filter: Hayward C5530 Cartridge Filter w/ 2-speed 2.5hp pump
    Cleaner: Black Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump
    Install: Mar 2012, city water (no restrictions), Test kit: TF-100, Salt, Borate