Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diamond Brite - Exposed aggregate

1. Back To Top    #1

Diamond Brite - Exposed aggregate

Hi
    I am trying to find what the actual surface looks like for Diamond Brite. I see the swatches from the mfg., but don't see many actual pool owners surfaces. If you have a Diamond Brite can you post a picture up close and let me know what method of exposing the surface was used (Acid Wash or bath or nothing)? I don't want too rough of a surface, but also don't want it smooth so you don't see any of the quartz showing through. PB is saying they do just a smooth, no acid wash, and that I wouldn't see quartz coming through which worries me. I can pay extra for acid wash, but looking at SGM technique they say to use I. Water Washing With Brushes as the recommended.

Thank you for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diamond Brite - Exposed aggregate

Welcome to TFP!

DB is common, and someone will likely post some pics for you, but once the pool is filled it will be very similar looking to other like colored finishes. If the builder wants extra for acid wash, that's really uncommon and should be included in the install cost if they do it. A good installer can get a lot of exposure without it however, and it's pointless to pay for a finish of that type with little or no exposure of the aggregate. Positively UN-acceptable IMO. Is this a new build or remodel? If you have a choice for finding another installer, I would consider that option.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess your PB isn't using Factory Trained Applicators or else they would be doing the process as shown in the video. SGM has a process to expose the aggregate so that will you get the finished product that they designed for a look and feel that the end user wants. I can't see why they think you need to pay for the acid wash when that is apart of the process for Diamond Brite and the price should have been in the orginal bid. Diamond Brite is a beautiful finish and needs to be done correctly. Good luck to you.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you I thought it was strange it wasn't in the bid from the start and was casually brought up when I was selecting colors from the samples. Kinda scary - hoping for the best at this point. :/

5. Back To Top    #5

Absolutely insist on an acid wash. It's part of the standard application procedure.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you think I should insist on an acid wash or the I. Water Washing With Brushes? When looking at the SGM application online it says an acid wash is not necessary if Water Washing with brushes technique is used? I am in Northern CA so cold weather is not an issue.

This is a re-plaster project

http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/InfoSheets/Diamond_Brite_web.pdf

Thanks!
    Last edited by tw25; 05-26-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add details of project

7. Back To Top    #7

The PB said to expose surface they will do an acid wash and power wash. Is the power wash necessary or overkill or part of the acid wash process?

I just want it to look like the sample and they didn't mention "water washing w/ brushes", but I still need to ask about that.

Thanks!