Lurker turned TFP rookie.

Aug 9, 2012
Hello all. Just opened up the pool for this year and will be using these methods now. Was using pucks before but will be switching to bleach. Measures CYA a few days ago and it was 130. Since I am just getting started for the year, I figured I might as well do a partial drain and try to fix it. So I let out about 3/4 and refilled today. Here are new readings. FC was very high before refill.

TA 120
Ph 7.2
FC 5
Calc 240
Cya 70 (ish?)

I was surprised to see chlorine was so high. I still have some pucks in the chlorinator which I guess I will let finish off. I live in New Mexico, lots of sunlight, so I think the new Cya level, while high, is still acceptable?
I added a bit of borax to try to get the PH to 7.5, as recommended by the pool calculator. How do these numbers seem to you guys? I did not have time to check the CC yet. Water looks great. Another question I have is, using only bleach from A big jumbo box store, how much can I expect to add on a 1-2 day basis? Just a few cups? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

CYA is pushing it for a manually dosed pool, I would remove those pucks, and consider another 20% drain and replace. Your FC is also at the minimum for a CYA level of 70 so you should boost it with bleach / liquid chlorine.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Ike

p.s. In general CYA should not be above 50-60 ppm even in prime sunbelt locations on a manually dosed pool

All right. Drained about 1/3 overnight and refilling now. Do most people manually add chlorine or get an automatic injector? I work quite a bit so automation would be ideal. Is there anything I could easily replace the tablet feeder with to inject chlorine? I'm looking for something without too much startup cost. Will report back with new numbers this afternoon. Thanks guys!

Once you get familiar with your pool and its chlorine usage you can add once per day or even once every other day in many cases.

Automated chlorine options include

Stenner pump
Liquidator
saltwater chlorine generator

My choice is SWCG. There are lots of posts from people describing their installation of Stenner and Liquidator systems. Search top right.

2nd year rookie here. Follow these cats !!!! Fired the pool place cabbage scoopers ! Spent 10 to open the pool This year instead of 200 ish.

Am also looking at a inexpensive do it myself chlorine drip system. I have a frogger system installed but since going to BBB she is dormant.lol looking to modify or replace that section with a liquid bleach drip system so I will follow this !!! Good luck !!!!!!

Anyone figure out how to modify a chlorine puck floaty device into a liquid chlorine dripper ? Momma loves her floaty. Lol

Sent from the deep end using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.