Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in filter body - Need to locate replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in filter body - Need to locate replacement

Hi,

Cam home to my pool equipment are soaked, tracked the leak to a hairline crack running vertically for several inches on the lower body of the filter housing.

Questions:
    What is that piece called so I am referring to correctly?
    My model number is Hayward C7020STAMB. My sticker says it was made for my pool builder Shasta Pools by Hayward. I can't find one online which I assume willl be less expesive than going locale. Any suggestions on where or what to search? I googled the model number and didnt't come up with much.

My local pool store wants $1,300 to replace it.

photo below. the pool and all euipment is 10 years old this month, I am the original owner.

IMG_3510.jpg
    1) 16,000 gallons
    2) cartridge
    3) in ground
    4) Pebbletec (Shasta stone)
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. Need to find out.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in filter body - Need to locate replacement

You don't have to replace with the exact same filter. You can do a little reaearch and decide type firstm=, then select a model. Cartridge, DE or sand should be able to fit in that area, but you would obviously need a multiport valve if you switched to sand or DE.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    You don't have to replace with the exact same filter. You can do a little reaearch and decide type firstm=, then select a model. Cartridge, DE or sand should be able to fit in that area, but you would obviously need a multiport valve if you switched to sand or DE.
    roger that. I have filters now and would want to stay with filters.

Looking at the heyward site, they have something that looks similar called swimclear. Comes in various sq ft of filtration (225, 325, 425, and 525) how does one approach the math to determine the appropriate size.

Thannks.
    1) 16,000 gallons
    2) cartridge
    3) in ground
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. Need to find out.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not at all scientific, but folks usually need smaller pumps and larger filters. I have sand, but most say that the larger the cartridge the less often you are opening to clean.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say 325 is minimum and 400 or 500 is better. There is no downside to going bigger except space and money.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Mine cracked and I just replaced the bottom half of the filter shell. It cost about 2/3 as much as buying a new filter. But if you need or want a larger filter, now is the time. I kind of wish I had just replaced mine, since it wouldn't have been that much more.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The part is a lower filter body. You can try googling for Hayward C7020 without all the additional numbers. The following link is one example showing parts diagram and numbers Hayward SwimClear C2020-C7000, And C2025 - C7020 Parts | Florida Water Products In general, I would expect that part to be quite pricy in comparison to a whole replacement, as noted above
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jtaves85mcss View Post
    The part is a lower filter body. You can try googling for Hayward C7020 without all the additional numbers. The following link is one example showing parts diagram and numbers Hayward SwimClear C2020-C7000, And C2025 - C7020 Parts | Florida Water Products In general, I would expect that part to be quite pricy in comparison to a whole replacement, as noted above
    Using that diagram, the filter body is part # DEX2420ATC $364.05, not sure about shipping. Plus you would want to replace any gasket/"O" ring you encounter in the disassemble. A little over 33% of the cost of a new 525 filter.

If it were me I would go for a new filter, not jsut a lower housing. If one part has succumbed to the age/heat/UV other parts can't be far behind.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Using that diagram, the filter body is part # DEX2420ATC $364.05, not sure about shipping. Plus you would want to replace any gasket/"O" ring you encounter in the disassemble. A little over 33% of the cost of a new 525 filter.

If it were me I would go for a new filter, not jsut a lower housing. If one part has succumbed to the age/heat/UV other parts can't be far behind.
    i got lucky. its under warranty by my pool builder. they are coming out replace next week.
    1) 16,000 gallons
    2) cartridge
    3) in ground

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2005 View Post
    i got lucky. its under warranty by my pool builder. they are coming out replace next week.
    Free under warranty is always a wonderful thing!!